free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit Turbo 1984 - Compression - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Drew1980

Lotus Esprit Turbo 1984 - Compression

Hi my dad owns a lotus esprit turbo 1984 S3 (B820 SAH), it has been off the road for a while and is now due to be repaired in the next few months, there was white smoke appearing from the exhaust and first assumption was that it was the turbo oil seals. Below I have listed the compression test results, do these look ok or noticeably like there maybe a problem with the lump itself. 

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Engine compressions as I remember were checked cold the readings were 

Cylinder 1.  8.2bar dry.

Cylinder 2.  8.7bar dry.

Cylinder 3.  8.8bar dry.

Cylinder 4.  8.7bar dry.

Cylinder 1.  9.7bar with a squirt of oil.

Cylinder 2.  9.7bar with a squirt of oil.

Cylinder 3.  9.1bar with a squirt of oil.

Cylinder 4.  9.7bar with a squirt of oil.  

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The turbo engine is a low compression unit, so I would say that those figures look good. I think you are on the right track with the turbo oil seals after the car has been standing for some while. These cars do need to be used regularly to stop such problems occurring.

Good luck.

The book value for the low comp turbo compression is 130psi...so 9.1 to 9.7 bar would be about right...133 to 143. The turbo oil seals are likely to be a red herring...they aren't seals as in the rubbery things we all know and love and which go hard and leak without use, but are labyrinth seals that rely on the shaft rotating to give a dynamic seal. I had a similar sort of thing way back...my first ever post here refers....

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/1939-bridge-to-engine-room-make-more-smoke/?hl=%2Bbridge+%2Bto+%2Bengine+%2Broom

Edited by molemot

Hey Drew, welcome to the forum.

I have moved your topic into the Engine section of the technical area. That way our Technical whizz's will find it quicker and you will get more replies.

While it's being repaired why not take pics and post up a topic in our Esprit Project and renovation section so we can all learn about whats being done and how? You will also get pointers from many of our restorers and members who enjoy a project or 2!

Can be found here: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/forum/34-esprit-project-restoration-room/

If you need parts the guys are very knowledge-able and so please don't hesitate to post up in the parts sections. 

We all look forward to read more and helping you out!