free hit
counters
Fuel pump hose connection - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Nelly

Fuel pump hose connection

Apologies if this is a stupid question but with my limited knowledge of these things I am stuck (and under pressure to get the car finished).

I have just put a new fuel hose on the car from both tanks to the fuel pump, but I don't know how to actually connect this to the pump.

The new hose came from SJ.  Below is a photo showing the section which came off the old hose into the pump (top) and the new section off the hose from SJ (bottom)

post-5743-0-69522800-1370166738.jpg

The new hose came with a brass tube & olive, so I can't screw this into the fuel pump as I was hoping and don't know what I should do to convert it to work.

The existing section off the old hose has two parts, the RH end being the section that screws into the pump itself.  The LH section screws into it, but is rusted solid and at the moment I have not been able to ssperate them.

Also, what is the olive for and how does it work?

Finally, it looks like there were remains of PFTE tape on the nut into the fuel pump, so I guess I gould repeat when I re-assemble?

Any help much appreciated!!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I assume the rest of the new hose screws into the hex end at the LH side of the short section you have photographed? Have you tried fitting the end of the longer piece of hose into the fuel pump...looks like it will need a male thread to fit into the fuel pump. If the threads are compatible, then that's the way to go...ptfe tape may be useful, but it doesn't like petrol much. The plain tube and olive set up needs a hex fitting on the pipe first...then the olive...and when you screw the thing together, the olive deforms and squeezes the pipe thus sealing the joint. There seems to be  nylon washer on the old fitting, too. Looking at the photos and thinking a bit more, it may be that when you dismantle the rusty old bit from the brass hex fitting you will find that either the pipe has a swaged end or it, too, has an olive to seal it up when assembled. I would get the old one apart and see what you have...all these fittings are readily available from an automotive plumbing supplier, I always used to use Think Automotive in Isleworth...

http://www.thinkauto.com/

Same problem here...I suspect the SJ fuel hoses are reproduction of original fitment so for Bosch pump and not SU I think...

take a look here: http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/fuel-unions--connectors-24-c.asp

at the end of the page you will find every adaptor you will need.

Let us know how you solve the problem.

Giorgio

This part is listed on the SJ site as an adaptor/union for fuel pump connector...

post-3419-0-31692900-1370178981.jpg

Edited by ghe67

Forgot to ask you, which type of fuel pump you have on the car?

Take also a look at this document, really interesting about the right way to connect banjo bolts on SU pumps.

Giorgio

New_SU_Pumps_with_'O'_ring_seals.pdf

Thanks guys.

Yes John the LH end of the new section screws to the T piece which then goes to both tanks.

I think getting the two parts of my old section is a good idea and will try and do that.

I did see the union/adaptor on the SJ site and wondered if I would need it.  Looks like I may but suspect the photo was fooling me into thinking it was bigger than it actually is.

I am pretty sure I have the original fuel pump on the car,  I have ordered a new SU pump which is on back order at SJ (Steve thought they would be in soon but that was a month ago) - I need to get the car running so am resigned to having to use the old pump for now at least.

Oh - I would also mention at this point that the rubber coating had come away from my old fuel hose in some places leaving only the yellowing plastic tube - so I am rather glad I have replaced it!  Worthin thinking about if your car is at this sort of age and has no eveidence of recent fuel system work.

E-mailed Steve st SJ the same question, here is his reply:

"The top piece is the union for the pump and part of the old hose assembly. You need to separate the two pieces.

First, the plastic washer on the union should not be used. This type of union has a tapered thread and seals with the aid of some sealer, metal to metal. This piece is A079L6007F

With the other piece, cut it in half and put the nut piece on the new hose, before the olive.

The new hose assembly will now fit."

The code he has put is the picture Georgio posted, so I have ordered one of those.  I don't think my two parts are coming apart in a hurry but will try!

OK, to update this for Georgio and indeed anyone else who looks at this in the future.  Steve was mainly right with his advice, but it took a visit to Hampshire Hose today and them explaining it to me for the penny to finally drop.

My original section was indeed two sections - the original hose plus the union for the fuel pump.  Whats I didn't realise (because of the rust) was that the union was in two seperate sections.  Once that came apart (not easy!) it all became clear:

post-5743-0-85450700-1370634473.jpg

My only problem now is that when I put the old union onto the new section suppplied by Steve, its too long.  I have cut the copper bit down as much as I can to still accomodate the olive, and its 76mm long.  Max width it can be is 70mm or you can't fit it.

Didn't help that I knew nothing about how comression fittings work!

I am now going back to Hampshire Hose tomorrow to see if they can make me a shorter section loosing the 6mm on the braided section (which is hidden by the black heatshrink).

Anyone near Southampton who needs any hose related stuff - Hampshire Hose come highly recommended,

Will update tomorrow.

Edited by Nelly9000

Great infos here thanks Neil.

I wait your update and some pics....it seems a little bit complicate this..

Giorgio

@Nelly have been reading this as I'm about to connect up my fuel system of my S1 which I'm restoring.

However I too am confused by the fuel lines and how they connect to the SU fuel pump.

Have you got a photo of your completed system (pump), and a list of parts and links to sort this out?

My fuel line is the one from SJ, part number B085L4082F

B085L4082F.jpg?mod=86

Cheers,

David.

Edited by Fridge

Now you are testing my memory!

Once I had the old part in pieces I think Hampshire Hose got me the new equipment.  I know it involved buying an olive to fit inside and crush when tightened,

The car went in for an MOT shortly after I put it all back together, and they found the joint was leaking so they sorted that out for me  not sure what they actually did.  Here is a photo of it:

20170527_161009.thumb.jpg.f3adcb6da1e465121e3be41c261468a8.jpg

I did buy a new SU fuel pump but ended up using my old one, so I am not sure if the connection is different to the SU (I think it may well be).  Sorry that may not be much help! 

• Like 1

@Nelly

Just received my replacement from Steve after tracing the fuel smell to cracked and knackered pipe like yours. My god it's a battle to fit! Like you said the hose section between T piece and pump is too long. I rang Steve who said cut the metal pipe down to 1/8" sticking out beyond nut and olive and just about managed to wrestle it in but it's now putting pressure on the fuel pump mountings as the T piece is jammed up against the body work. Interestingly the fittings are now crimped on as opposed to the push fit or screw on type you had so there's no way to remove them, shorten the hose and refit. Also the pipework is braided and sleeved but it so stiff I'm having a nightmare fitting the left hand banjo back on. Taking a breather for a couple of days and will re-attack.

Out of interest, what did Hampshire hose charge to make up a replacement? I might just take the fittings from the old one and make my own up if I can't get this on to work...

Pete

@peteyg

I don't know exactly but probably around £10 - I paid cash and don't have a receipt for it (that's how they roll but you do get it cheaper that way).

Very much a case for me of adapting what was supplied by Steve to fit my car so I would think its the same for everyone.  I do seem to remember him mentioning about cutting it down too.

I was lucky in the respect I did all my hose replacement work with the benefit of a lift at the garage that resprayed my car, so I daresay yours will have been a godsend doing this job. I can't imagine having to have done it with the car jacked up!

Incidently - I damaged the shorter section of hose which is why on my photo that section doesn't have the teflon coating, that was a replacement made by hampshire hose too.