free hit
counters
Starting Dilemma - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
G4RTHV8

Starting Dilemma

Good Day to one and all,

Having not used the V8 in some months I decided to take it for a spin. On starting the starter motor seemed a little lazy however once it had cranked over two or three times it burst into life and I took it for a drive. By the time I got back the steering was whining whenever I turned the wheel and when I inspected the engine bay everything seemed to be covered in oil. I quickly realised it what I thought was oil was in fact power steering fluid. Anyway when I subsequently went to re-start the car the starter would hardly move as though battery power just seemed to drain away. So I tested the battery and found that it was a bit low. I whipped out the booster pack (which was fully charged), connected it to the battery and flicked the key again (still no Joy). I then tried jump starting (but still the battery seemed as though it was flat). I tried a new battery and got the same thing??? And now when I turn the key I don’t even get the lights on the dash even though the battery tests fine for output???

I’m planning to get stuck in to the car this weekend and would appreciate any advice on where I might look first.

Thanks in advance.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Alternator full of steering fluid? I don't know of the electrical properties, but possibly the fluid is shorting everything to earth?

I would start looking at the earthing if you have 12V at the battery and no lights at all on the dash.

IIRC the primary earth is battery to engine block and then block to chassis.

If the circuit was good but the alternator was shorting you would probably have the battery warning light on permanently.