free hit
counters
Door seals - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mdw

Door seals

I am fitting new frames and want to do the door seals as well as they are badly worn. Are the woollies ones any good or do I need to pay for the SJs. Woolies £27 plus p and p. Sjs £124 plus p and p .

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Malcolm, Woolies have sent me material samples before now, ask and see if they will cut off a piece and send it over so you can judge yourself again what you have at the moment.

Oh let me know what you find out, I was looking around but I'm not paying the SJ prices.

Chris

Woolies seal no 266 is the first pic at £3 per meter inc vat plus p an p. The 2nd pic is a bit from the old door seal off my car which I sent up to them. I think you need 4.5 meter per door. It look similar apart from on the original one the foam part seems to sit slightly lower down the u bit that goes over the fibreglass.

post-1261-0-07262600-1370292396.jpg

post-1261-0-73636600-1370292436.jpg

Edited by mdw

I guess its all down to how neatly and securely you can glue them at the corners. Do the SJ ones come precut and glued? If so, may be worth it.

You can buy the glue for doing the corners, the sj ones are pre made up

I'll add these for technical reference.  These are common pinchwelds available in the market place today with their associated specs.

PinchweldSeal2of2_zps9e89f886.jpg

PinchweldSeal1of2_zps4bc16b3c.jpg

What about v8 window rubber seals mine are in need of attention the ones that sit around the frame and hold the glass when it slides up and down

Alex, yes you can get that trim aftermarket. Myself & David Lisle (CHANGES) bought some from a trader at last years nec classic car show.

I can't remember the name of the company, it might be worth sending CHANGES a pm, see if he can remember

Woolies sell the window channel http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1485-window-channel.aspx is the one I have just fitted to new frames. One problem I do have is the window juddering on the way down. Motor is fine and the arm greased. It might be the wheel that sits in the channel under the glass and should roll but now slides as its stiffened up over the years and is now worn. The nylon wheel that run up the guide bar in the middle are also worn.

Edited by mdw

the channel from woollies isn't quite right, the later v8's rubber has additional ribs moulded to the outside edges

The factory seal is on the left and the woollies on the right. Yes slight difference on the tops of the outer edges. But otherwise fits fine. Mine is a 88 but part nos show same seal fitted to later cars.

post-1261-0-07596600-1370380837.jpg

If it fits then that's cool. but both of those are slightly different to what was fitted to my car. Maybe over the years they changed the styles slightly, but they will all interchange with each other.

The rubber we purchased from the nec was an exact match. If I can find the leftover i'll take a picky

Few more pics on the window channel.

First is Woolies 317 £3 /mtr inc vat( smaller)

2nd is old factory channel in new frame.

and 3rd is Woolies 319 £3.50/mtr inc vat.

I have fitted the 317 which fits fine and stays in place. I am going to order the 319 and see if that is a more snug fit or too tight for the windows.

As has been said neither woollies trims are exactly the same as the original but with the original at £28.68 per meter!!!!!!! almost 10 times the woollies price I think I will go with one of the woollies trims.

post-1261-0-33416900-1370587745.jpg

post-1261-0-78047700-1370587777.jpg

post-1261-0-67331400-1370587797.jpg

Edited by mdw