free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit Turbo S3 1984 Bonnet - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Drew1980

Lotus Esprit Turbo S3 1984 Bonnet

Hi my dad has a 1984 Lotus Esprit Turbo and the bonnet has been resprayed twice, however it keeps crazing. I am wanting to buy a new bonnet as I'm thinking the current one has probably been contaminated at some point, could anyone please point me in the right direction as where to purchase a new one.

Any info would be much apprecited!

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You want new or used?

Trevor.

Hi not worried either would be ok

Lotusbits. Massive choice there.

I have a 1981 Turbo I am breaking if you are interested?

Trevor.

Crazing you mean star cracks? Could be not enough shims on the front hinges and the closing mech bending too much? How did you do the repair. You can't just fill and spray. You need to grind in until you can see no more crack then use glass tissue then fill and shape. If you just fill and spray they will always come back.

Buddsy

Scott's only too right.....cracks need to be taken right back until they've gone, then filled and glassed over. Best stuff to do the glassing with is epoxy from West's Epoxy....have a look at the techniques used by the large model aeroplane fraternity when they apply glass cloth as a finishing medium to their models. They use plastic card squeegees to spread the epoxy on the glass cloth; that technique keeps the subsequent rubbing down to a minimum!

hi thanks for all the comments,

trevsked - I am interested stupid question but is a 1981 turbo bonnet the same as a 1984 one?

Hi,

Not entirely sure as I think Lotus changed styles at will but if you post up a pic the ill do the same after I get back Monday.

Trevor.

I think that the front bonnet change was in Oct 1986 with the arrival of the HC although there are some non HC cars with them fitted - probably replacement ones  The difference being the number of air vents at the top.  

Thanks Barrie for the info and now you have reminded me what was different. I'm going to start a thread when I'm back next week about the breaker and put some pics up so folks can see what there is.

Trevor.