free hit
counters
About time - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mayevora

About time

http://news.sky.com/story/1099507/middle-lane-hogs-face-100-on-the-spot-fines

The one that always surprises me - Driving without Insurance £100 fixed penalty - How mad is that, even doubling it is nowhere neat enough. Where is the incentive for a 17 year old to pay £1500 upwards to Insure their car?

Nuts.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Very happy to see on the spot fines for MLMs :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Agree but let's hope it's not just lip service.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Sounds like they'll make a lot of dough in fines, I'm sure the donut eaters will be right on it :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

What is all this problem with the middle lane? Assuming the RH lane is clear, they aren't impeding anyone...you want to pass, pass. I cover quite significant distance on motorways, both in the UK and Europe, and the biggest problem isn't people driving in the middle lane, it's moronic truckers in speed governed trucks trying to pass each other. They pull out, then lose the slip stream effect of the truck they were tailgating...and this is ALWAYS uphill, so now they have the gradient and the increased drag to contend with. I've seen them go for miles clogging up the road and then have to pull back in behind the truck they were trying to pass. Sometimes they manage to crawl by...but even then, this invariably results in the traffic behind them clogging up, and even coming to a halt sometimes, miles before the hill that caused it. Bad enough on three lane roads, but when there are only two lanes is becomes risible...were it not dangerous.

Just what difficulty is a driver causing if he is driving at the speed limit in the middle lane? To pass him requires the other drivers to break the law. Have you ever driven at the exact legal limit, shown on a GPS system, and seen what happens....try going back to the LH lane and you will shortly find yourself boxed in behind a truck by the overtaking traffic. Then try and get out to the other lanes to overtake....added to which the LH lane is usually like the trench system in WW1 due to the trucks wearing it away and imposing additional load on the substrate. If there is no obstruction being caused as the third lane is free, why not drive in the middle lane? If I am on an empty motorway, I deliberately drive in the centre lane as I have no idea whether the LH or RH front tyre is going to puncture, and being in the middle gives me more chance to sort things out before I hit anything. Anything overtaking me has plenty of room to do so. People bimbling along at 50 mph in the middle lane are a different matter.

On the continent lane discipline is generally better, but some take it to ridiculous extremes, swerving all over the road from the LH lane to the RH lane even when it is perfectly obvious they will have to move back out again in a matter of seconds. Of course, all this is caused by the daft speed limits inflicted upon the motorist which results in the traffic being bunched up and driving legally becoming far more onerous than going that bit faster. At a slightly greater speed than the rest of the traffic one is spared the hassle of trying to pull out and pass when you have a continuous stream of 80 to 85 mph traffic going by, all of them too close together and none of them prepared to allow you out to pass. So you join in....80 to 85 mph in the traffic stream and all is far more restful; illegal, though. And, of course, you are now in the middle lane....or even the "Overtaking Lane"!! 

As for "tailgating", trucks do this all the time. They are often only a few feet apart...this will give them fuel economy benefits, but if anything goes wrong, you get a concertina. They are supposed to be professional drivers, but a large number of them seem to have no idea whatsoever of what they are doing.  

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Sorry Molemot, but there IS a problem with driving in the middle lane, even when the motorway is clear and you are doing 70mph. 

Reasonable knowledge of and adherence to the Highway Code is a prerequisite of the UK driving test. Contravening the Code can be punished by a variety of means by the Police, whether that's a ticking off and sending you on your way with a flea in your ear, issuing a FPN, points on your licence or a ban.

The Code clearly states that vehicles should normally drive in the left lane of multi-lane carriageways and return to that lane after overtaking slower moving vehicles. There is no reference to absolute or relative speeds - move to the left after overtaking.The Highway Code says move over and if you don't the Police have every right to punish you. End of.

Driving is a privilege which has to be earned, its not a right. The more people realise this and respect the Code, particularly when it comes to lane discipline, the safer, less frustrating and enjoyable it will be for the rest of us.

Mark, old chap, that sounds fine, doesn't it? But NOBODY does it....and there's the problem. I don't know how things are up in the land of my Great Grandfather where you are, but in the congested south it seems to work the other way. It's the right hand lane that's full....everyone seems to drive in the fast lane.... the idea of moving over to the left has gone by the board. The M25 is possibly the worst place; these days they have bowed to reality and some sections have a "stay in lane" policy rather than requiring continual lane changing to stay in the left hand lane. Also variable speed limits, which ought to work to get greater traffic flow but sometimes have little or no relevance to the reality of the current traffic.

In fact, the Highway Code is a guide, not a book of rules. Some of it has become traffic law; but not the business of moving into the left hand lane. This is what it says:

"You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking."

The operative word is "should". This makes it a recommendation and not a rule. All rules are expressed as MUST or MUST NOT...their capitals, not me shouting...so much for your "end of".

Of course, the most essential thing is to remain fully aware of what is going on around you...not get in somebody else's way; anything approaching me at speed will be given a wide berth, I won't get into a situation where I would have to trust the competence of any other road user as so many of them have zero situational awareness and are basically dangerous at all times. You will have seen them! Especially as a motorcyclist..... I would much rather see people driving with good situational awareness than slavishly adhering to a book of rules....even when they aren't actually rules!! 

I had hoped to generate discussion on my wider topic of trucks and the manner in which they are driven, rather than being hauled over the coals on the basis of a government pamphlet, as important and necessary as it is. What do you think of the mobile chicanes that are trucks trying to overtake each other? Not against the Highway Code, so therefore not a problem? Or the manifestation of governing all trucks to the same speed and allowing their drivers to behave in what can only be described as a completely stupid manner?

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Sorry mate, I've calmed down a bit now. Some years ago I was rear ended when queued up behind some dipstick doing about 50 in the middle lane on the M6 with everyone getting more and more frustrated having to wait their turn to overtake. The accident took several of us out, fortunately no-one was seriously injured.

What made the situation all the more maddening was the fool simply carried on his way, bimbling along at 50, in the middle lane probably totally oblivious to the mayhem behind him. It was obvious he wasn't using his mirrors anyway........

Technically the guys behind were responsible of course - driving without due care and attention. But I was thoroughly p****d off.

i can`t believe somebody uses as an excuse for driving in the middle lane the worry of not knowing if he is going to get a puncture in the left or the right front tyre, what on earth do you do on a 2 lane road.

True the highway code is only advisory on this but it also does not say you should only overtake on the right.

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

If people want to sit in the middle lane, then I'll carry on undertaking them :)

Evora NA

Well they haven't mentioned the outside lane, so i'll be staying in that one driving my astravan in "white van man style" :bounce:

jimmy carr"£100 fine for bad drivers isn`t that a bit sexist"

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

If people want to sit in the middle lane, then I'll carry on undertaking them :)

The big problem with undertaking is you are heavily relaying on the irresponsible driver in the central lane to continue to be irresponsible at the point of undertake.

I'm just picturing my worst case scenario now - Two lorries, Moley and you on the same uphill stretch of Motorway lol ;)

140 cars in about 5 miles on the 4 lane section of the M2 is the record. None even close to the inside lane. 

Evora NA

Middle lane, outside lane, tailgating etc are all difficult to prove "beyond a doubt", for example, with Middle Lane hogging how long/far do you have to follow them for?

The trouble is, who do they expect to enforce any of this? I did 400 miles yesterday on Dual carriageway in Norfolk and then Motorways and I saw.....0 real Police. Ohhh I saw about 20 "Traffic Officers" employed by the council, with no powers who are made to look like Police to fool anyone stupid enough to think they have anything other than powers to pick up rubbish and park behind people who have broken down!

Numbers of Polce on road have been cut and cut and replaced with Camera's. Now they want to catch drunk drivers, middle lane hoggers, bad drivers and tailgaters they have to divert funds from the Camera's and people who maintain them, and put the Police back on the Road.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

'True the highway code is only advisory on this but it also does not say you should only overtake on the right.'

Sorry Pete, but oh yes it does. It then qualifies it with ''In congested condition.........'' Rule 267 and 268.

:lol:

http://sniffpetrol.com/2013/06/06/what-inspired-motorway-moron-crackdown/

It has been revealed today that the UK government’s newly-announced crackdown on motorway middle lane hogging came about after repeated complaints from the Ferrari F1 team.

‘We knew poor lane discipline was a real issue but we weren’t going to do anything about it,’ said a government spokesman. ‘However, that was before the Ferrari complained about it. They made such a fucking fuss over the whole matter that we’ve finally decided to do something.’

Sources say that the government was happy to ignore bad driving on multi-lane roads, perhaps even tacitly to endorse it, but that Ferrari’s unique combination of pompous whinging and an ability to make the problem seem like a personal slight drove them to go along with whatever it was the Italian team wanted.

‘Hmph. At least it’s not just us then,’ said a Pirelli spokesman, gloomily.

Evora NA

SO...it was Ferrari all the time, then?(!)

Mark, we are actually of one mind, it seems...I quote from my original post...

"People bimbling along at 50mph in the middle lane are a different matter."

And that's what got you....and it's exactly the same as the two trucks problem. Blocks the road and forces the traffic behind into a dangerous situation, as you found to your cost. As for undertaking/overtaking/swerving all over the place, may I recommend the Boulevard Peripherique in Paris? Seems to be the natural home to Sergio Perez....they come at you from all angles, and the motorcyclists go between them too. Polite bunch, the bikers, always acknowledge when you give them space. 

As for Bibs, two trucks and me....we'd be past them before they even knew we were there!

Now for the puncture situation. Two lane roads...you takes your chance. Nothing to be done. 3 lane motorways...why not get a bit more of an edge in the (admittedly unlikely) situation of a front wheel puncture? I have had three of these over the years and once, that bit more space to the nearside was very useful. On a recent drive back from Somerset to the boat on the Thames, I used the motorway route and saw a car on the other carriageway that had obviously swerved left out of control and run up the grass bank and overturned. Could have been a puncture, I couldn't tell.

Well that's Ironic.

There I am moaning about there not being enough Traffic Police to enforce any of this and I got my Friday night Roster last night.....I'm on placement with Traffic!

LMAO!

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Stop anyone in a Lotus and we'll sort out a lynch mob :thumbup:

Evora NA

"As ye sow........."(!)

Start of Drink Drive Campaign. Surely no one can complain about that!

"As ye sow........."(!!)