free hit
counters
Clutch pedal going soft - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
red vtec

Clutch pedal going soft

After putting the car back on the road, the clutch pedal appears to be playing up. It seems to go soft and also does not fully return, if I give it a few pumps it stiffens up.

I replaced both sets of seals a while ago and I re bleed the system the other day.  The fluid looks dirty, does this indicate the master cylinder ?  I cannot see any leaks, but wonder if the seals are not keeping the pressure.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If there is no fluid leaking then it sounds like the master cylinder is the problem. Possibly the centre valve not closing off.

If it's been off the road for a while, you may have what happened to mine....the fluid being hygroscopic absorbs moisture and, without use, the master cylinder suffers from water pooling in the bottom of the bore and corrodes away until the seals won't work any more! I had fitted a new master cylinder before taking years over a respray, with the beast in bits....afterwards the clutch hydraulics failed and I ended up with another new master cylinder....

Replacing seals is just a temporary fix, I would never do it just to save a few quid.

I'm going to put a new master in, I have a spare one from a lnad rover. I'm sure its the eaxct same part as SJ supply.

Same internal bore?  :-)

going to check that. do you know what the lotus one is? I found a schematic and can then compare the two.

Aaaagh - not sure if it's 5/8".  That might be the SE.

The master cylinder on cars prior to '92 have a 5/8" bore, a 7/16" outlet thread and 120 mm length pushrod.

I suggest replacing the clutch slave too.  They very often go at about the same time and this ensures a completly redone hydrauilic system for your clutch.  And, if the master crapped out(bad seals, letting in air, etc) then it will send dirt and junk into the lines which eventually will make it to the slave cylinder and potentially ruin it as well. 

Also, make sure to change out the clutch fluid EVERY year no matter what.  Cheap insurance and almost gaurantees no crap gets into your system.

i have bought a new slave it is this that is leaking, if it still causes issues i'll replace the master.