free hit
counters
purge pump exhaust hose - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
red vtec

purge pump exhaust hose

does it plug into anything at the other end? mine is split but I don't want to pull it out in case. I can't see anything on the other end in the parts book.

Think this explains my petrol smell!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

On my n/a the pump sits on top of the r/h fuel tank ( and was dead) with a hose through the side wall to the bottom of the air box. Where it goes to on your turbo I don't know but somewhere similar I would guess. There is a write up on how to replace the PP motor on lotueexcel.net using a motor from Maplin.

Cheers Malcolm,

I think the pump works it's just the tubing for the exhaust is all cracked. I'll get a new bit on it.

Chris

Just had a thought on this. My pump was not working and disconnected when I got it but should it suck from the air box or blow fresh air in to it.  If suck then fumes go past the PP motor ( although reasonalbly sealed from the impellor) . If blow then the fumes  goes back into the boot area via the intake box and tube. Which is correct?

Such an old thread but just fixed mine with the Maplin part, it needs to be wired so it sucks through the plenum as the flexible PP exhaust routes near the drivers side wheel arch. Otherwise it's exhausting into the turbo intake, which to be honest probably doesn't matter if it sucks or pushes type thing the direction really shouldn't matter logically but best kept as per original design (pushing back through pushes fuel fumes from the plenum into the turbo routing).  Lots of people remove their purge pumps on the carb turbo given more throttle will start the car but if you let it do its job it's a nifty solution to hot starting.  Just make sure the purge pump temp switch next to the otter switch is replaced every so often so it doesn't stick, otherwise the purge pump will not stop running after ignition off and will  drain your battery! (Stuck PP coolant sensor = can't sense when coolant is <60c)