free hit
counters
S4S loose door handle - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Guest Mutley00

S4S loose door handle

Guest Mutley00

Has anyone experienced a loose handle, where the liftable lower part of the latch comes into contact with the immovable upper part, resulting in loss of paint from both?

How easy is it to get to the latch from the inside and is this looseness fixable?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The handle hinge is simply 6 lugs (4 on the surround and 2 on the handle) that have a ~4 mm pin passing though them. If there's movement other than the simple rotation then then it's probably one the following to blame:

Dislodged pin

Broken lug(s)

Excessive wear in the lugs and/or pin (very unlikely)

The handle is fairly easy to get to once the door card is removed.

Edited by sailorbob

Guest Mutley00

Thanks Derek - I'm off out to hopefully sort it now. I trust its fixable with a lump hammer?

My handles on my S4 have done the paint scratching thing on both sides and both of mine are tight as a drum. No looseness at all.

My plan, at some time, was to either sand or dremel a bit off the back of the top edge of the movable part to provide some clearance to the surround.

There's also a tension spring which tends to snap with age.  If this goes then the handle becomes a bit floppy. :huh:

Guest Mutley00

My plan, at some time, was to either sand or dremel a bit off the back of the top edge of the movable part to provide some clearance to the surround.

Thats what I ended up doing Ramjet. Seems to have cured it

Edited by Mutley00