free hit
counters
sunroof fixings not as parts book - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
red vtec

sunroof fixings not as parts book

I have a glass roof.

My car has the earlier type of sunroof handles A082U6127F from the parts book this does not have a spacer B082U7138F but I have this fitted, but in the parts book this is fitted to the later type handles B082U6160F

Is mine fitted correct? or can I get rid of the spacer? i'm fitting new screws etc or do I have a "bitser"

Thanks

Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'd guess that with the spacer fitted you get sufficient pull/tension on the glass to stop it moving/creaking/leaking as you drive, As I guess you'll keep the current handles I'd suggest you refit the spacer

Can someone advise, I bought a solid sunroof and it came with spacers but not the handles. I have bought from sj sportscars the handles (I have a later type handles) but not sure how to fit them, the spacers are screwed into the roof and have two holes on each spacer to allow the handles to be fixed it it but the holes on the handles themselves are large and the screws Sj provided only really just fit the holes, should there be some sort of other item in addition to just the four screws? The hole on the handles is shaped like a star with perhaps ten points, it's not just a circular hole.

Yea it doesn't seem to have a breakdown of the setup, unless I'm missing something! It treats the glass and solid roof as a single item, seemingly.

Apologies it does in part 11.05b but the diagram on the solid roof side has been poorly photocopied and I can't make out what's going in!!!

Guest Mutley00

Benjamin

I swapped my glass roof back to the composite one last week, so its all fairly fresh in my memory.  PM me your 'naked' email and I'll take some piccies if you like. I suspect the 'hole with 10 points' you quote, is a star washer thats stuck in there Regards, Andrew

Hey Andrew it's bencalleja at hot mail dot com. I think I worked out how to fix the handles to the composite roof but now the roof didn't properly fit in the cat! Even with NO rubber covering the lip it sits on it won't sit flush? With rubber on the lip once the tongues are in it won't even lie flat, stands at 45 degrees to the car putting strain on the tongues. Does that make sense?

The tongues aren't fully in, try inserting them at a steeper angle...

Guest Mutley00

PM sent Benjamin with piccies. Please don't hesitate to call me and we can go through it together whilst I sit in the beast. I presume the fittings are the same in a Turbo and an S4S. I suspect some experimentation with washers/spaces in on the horizon!

I found similar problems with mine when I tightened down the screws holding the mounts for the tongues on the vertical section of the front of the roof hard.  They were rusty and I replaced them for cosmetic reasons.  Then, the glass roof would not sit down properly into the front channel any more. Either don't tighten them down really hard or insert some appropriate, thin, spacing washers.  I've not had any problems after fitting some split, anti-vibration, washers and not cranking down on the screws.

Trevor

After some measurements and sketches I have come to the conclusion the fiberglass aperture is literally too tall to take the thicker solid roof. Even though I have the shorter rubber bought specifically (though to be honest it's only a few mm shorter?!). But it's slides in the holes so easily I don't think it's the tongues. Unless...the tongues do have a s curve upwards, maybe I should bend them down a bit...

hey all.  thanks for the advice.  i wont buzz you yet andrew, ooogie PMd me too and he is right, given it wont sit flush even with the rubber buffer totally removed, it means i need to file it down!  scared, not sure if i want to take sandpaper to the aperture....

anyway on a different note, any ideas how to get the standard lotus front bonnet rubber seal to stick to the bonnet?!  Ive tried shoe glue (huge mess) and contact glue (doesnt stick).  sticking rubber to fiberglass seems impossible.