free hit
counters
Esprit (1988) Radio Harness Adaptor - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Jamie Garroch

Esprit (1988) Radio Harness Adaptor

I've decided to enter the digital World. My wife is either right or right!  :sofa:

Just kidding, I've bought a new DAB radio which comes with one of those standard interface ISO connector blocks. Now the wiring in the car was a complete mess and I'm ripping it all out back to the original main car harness connectors. I can strip and connect all the wires off of the16-way ISO connector but I'd rather just use a decent quality harness adaptor to keep things tidy, reliable and low resistance.

Has anyone come across an ISO harness adaptor that works with the 3 connectors the Esprit uses; the two yellow ones for speakers and the green one for power + aerial control (hacked by a previous owner) as in the picture below?

post-15334-0-65963300-1370621923.jpg

Edited by JamieG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just did this job yesterday.  I don't think you can get a ISO harness to plug into those fittings but Maplin do a fitting you can solder in place then plug the standard ISO into.  The male fittings for power etc and speakers was nearly £10 plus a few quid for heat shrink.  I wasn't using the original speaker cable and my car doesn't have AC so I unwound the loom tape, and separated those sections out, retaped them then put  them behind the carpet at footwell end.  It just gives a little more space in the dash area.

If you do this be careful as one of the bullit connectors ( large purple wire) came slightly loose and I lost power to the permanent live for the radio ( until I found it). Its in the A/C control  bundle of cables.

What are the chopped cables for in the green power/ aerial connector?

post-1261-0-41307800-1370846640.jpg

Edited by mdw

Back from a short break so soz for the delayed reply.

Thanks for the tip. Neat job in yours! I've bought a flying-lead ISO plug now and wired that all up. Just need the new carpets to turn up and I can start putting my car back together, finally ditching the kids' rear seat (from my Peugeot) for a professionally retrimmed Lotus one!

The cut wires on both sides of the terminal block were like that when I stripped the dash out so I'm not sure what they were :-(

There's also an interesting pair of green [after market IMO] wires that come through from the engine bay, run along the top of the gear change tunnel and then terminate in a soldered connection to themselves, going nowhere else, ender the dash.  This car is turning out to hold a number of mysterious secrets!

There's also an interesting pair of green [after market IMO] wires that come through from the engine bay, run along the top of the gear change tunnel and then terminate in a soldered connection to themselves, going nowhere else, ender the dash.  This car is turning out to hold a number of mysterious secrets!

Could be leads for an amp that was mounted in  the boot.  The pic below shows all the cabling behind the dash of mine when I got it. Most of that was for an old sound system and went straight in the bin.

post-1261-0-45966200-1372191206.jpg