Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I hoped I'd never see the day.... - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

I hoped I'd never see the day....

Rick Edwards

The irritating lumpiness that I experienced on the way to Donnington this year and the subsequent ride home on a low loader turned into something more serious than anyone hoped!!

Turns out the exhaust manifold was blowing and so the engine came out!

While it was out we found problem after problem from PO neglect. However we also found why the AC was not working and a few other little niggles that have been there or were about to happen so in a way its been a blessing in disguise, although its going to turn into a fairly expensive disguise.

I have taken the following snaps while choking back the tears of impending expense.

15107ACD-8CF7-4943-826C-3B8AAF2FEE50-269

1C6E743E-2C63-4972-9AED-431F1D238D9D-269

FD757E5A-628E-47A5-958F-0127F443B380-269

656626F2-0993-44C0-B3C6-5F05BBD020C7-269

AEE605BB-28D8-4651-8A28-F8166B9ECE77-269

BTW I have managed to make it sound like I am doing the work.......sadly that is way beyond my powers so a big thanks to Mr May who has put me in touch with a chap that seems to get more and more excited about the next challenge he is faced with.

more as it happens.

Twitter @radioRedwards

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

:)

Always horrible seeing one of the kids with a high temperature and looking a bit poorly! ;)

Should be better than new when sorted any luck. Has he given you any timescales?

null-65.jpg

Just for posterity :(

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Definitely a good thing to do .... will mean you'll be keeping it for ages!  And its an S4s so making it right and it will pretty much make it a top money Esprit if you do need a fire sale.  Good luck!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Ive always said the best way to work is by doing everything while you can..people dont get their engines out often enough, and so issues build up and up and up...take it.out every 3 yrs and you can keep ontop of things..the first time is always painful...(so I said to the other half...) then each time after its a routine and if done right.first time no nasty suprises will amount...and you have perfect peace of mind...

I hate to say it but you could do with checking the fuel tanks.Mine were not leaking so I was tempted to leave them,good job I didn't.

One was good and the other started leaking the moment it was removed.Better safe than sorry!!|  

I see a high performance exhaust on the immediate horizon.

A nice shinny one to go with a CLEAN ENGINE, and may as well clean the gearbox too.

You might think about the gearbox mounts too, clutch of coarse, and how are the hoses?

Just trying to help.  :D

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Feel your pain mate - Look, I've got a matching set of photos.

310520131499_zpsf051d4c8.jpg

310520131496_zpsa16c9e0e.jpg

d4e065a7-9dbe-41d4-b38e-9c990bf43c36_zps

I've taken the glass is half full approach - It's probably for the best. Both have plenty of things that have been uncovered and getting fixed, perfect time for a decent tidy up, and will confidently be able to enjoy the car again (eventually)! I've also got the take as long as you like to keep the bill down deal too. Keep us posted!

you are right of course. I have just added a new clutch to the list and it has had the mother of all engine and gearbox cleans...

I will go during visiting hours and get some more pics early in the week, but IF I cant afford to keep her, someone is going to have one of the most sorted S4s there is!

Twitter @radioRedwards

Well the engine is back in now so it won't be long till its back up and running. Looks like my dream of AC may be over though. Sounds like the threads on the in and out of the pump are beyond re-threading. Does anyone know if the compressor is from anything else that will cost a fraction of the price of the lotus part?

Twitter @radioRedwards

Hmmm places to try for AC compressor

1. Garry Kemp, East Yorkshire, UK, E-Mail: garrykemp@lineone.net, Tel: 01964536423

2. Steve Strange on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_armrs=1&_ssn=stevestrange007&_nkw=lotus&_pgn=4&_skc=75&rt=nc

3. Pete, PNM http://www.pnmengineering.com/lotus-pnm-contact.html

Not sure if Dave Freeman had one left over from his engine swap?

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

• Gold FFM

I was up there today mate. The last of your parts have arrived.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• 3 weeks later...

Woo Hoo, we are going in the right direction. All the bits are being connected up again and the engine and gearbox is back in and freshly cleaned. Apparently first flight will be next week!!

79C70328-1A12-4804-B5B8-6D2109348CEE-502

Edited by Rick Edwards
  • Like 1

Twitter @radioRedwards

Looks great. I don't know how you ended up with your AC issue, but FWIW and for anyone interested, I have one of the Sanden SD508 compressors on the shelf from a salvage S4 that I got for a build-up. I can't speak to the condition other than that it turns freely and quietly. It's free to anyone who wants to pay shipping, but, not knowing what they're worth, may or may not be worth shipping across the pond from the States. :huh:

:cheers:

Keep the faith Rick. My V8 went in for its annual 'B' service a few weeks back, best done with the engine out, so I took the opportunity to fit a load of new bits (preventative maintenance) - turbos, waste gates, oil and water turbo cooling pipes, AC pipe, heat shields, diff seals, high output alternator, EGR pipe....the list went on and on.

But she must have known what was coming as she started blowing from the left side exhaust manifold a few weeks before she went into the garage -  the typical V8 snapped stud/crumbled nut syndrome. So I had them all replaced as well as all the turbo mounting studs as two of them snapped as well!

2 weeks ago I had photos just like yours and was fairly depressed. But last weekend I drove her up to Aberdeen (the day I picked her up from the garage!) with the biggest smile on my face and spent an hour and a half giving passenger rides at the Alford Speedfest. She performed magnificently and never missed a beat.

So be patient, keep your fingers crossed and believe me, you'll look back on this time and laugh.....

Edited by hedgerley

Woo Hoo, we are going in the right direction. All the bits are being connected up again and the engine and gearbox is back in and freshly cleaned. Apparently first flight will be next week!!

79C70328-1A12-4804-B5B8-6D2109348CEE-502

Good news, enjoy.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Looks great. I don't know how you ended up with your AC issue, but FWIW and for anyone interested, I have one of the Sanden SD508 compressors on the shelf from a salvage S4 that I got for a build-up. I can't speak to the condition other than that it turns freely and quietly. It's free to anyone who wants to pay shipping, but, not knowing what they're worth, may or may not be worth shipping across the pond from the States. :huh:

:cheers:

Thanks for that...I don't know how much the shipping would be...but it may well be worth doing. I think the compressor is about £250, but I will look into it.

Thanks for all the supportive comments. I am pretty sure that I will get the car back at the exact moment the summer heat wave goes......At least not having a working ac wont be quite so uncomfortable for the thousand or so miles I am likely to do as soon as I get it.

Twitter @radioRedwards

Thanks for that...I don't know how much the shipping would be...but it may well be worth doing. I think the compressor is about £250, but I will look into it.

I may mock up a box and weight and see what calculations I can get for you or anyone else, sometimes it's better than expected. At any rate, it's not doing me any good. Good luck and hope for global cooling. :D

if you can do that, it would be great.... sounds like the threads on the compressor I have are beyond repair so one way pr another it looks like a new one will be needed. Will know more in the week.

Twitter @radioRedwards