free hit
counters
New Battery - Car Won't Start - Immobiliser? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stig123

New Battery - Car Won't Start - Immobiliser?

Hi,

I had to leave my Esprit Turbo for 6 months over the winter and removed the old battery.  The internal alarm battery took over and then began to buzz for a few days until it eventually died. 

A new battery was fitted today, and everything looked good. Key fob was locking / unclocking.  And once unlocked, the steering column red light was flashing to indicate that it was ready to start.  Key in, ignition lights on. Engine turned over strongly, but nothing.   Didn't even try to "catch".  

I think its the same symptom if the immobiliser is active. The engine will turn over, but it won't ever "catch".  I tried "alarm off / alarm on" a few times.  Also turned the alarm key in the front engine space on / off / on.

But still the same.   Engine turns over, but not even trying to start. 

It feels like the immobliser is somehow still active and not letting the car start. 

One further clue: a couple of times when I took the ignition key out, the alarm sounded for about 30 seconds. There was no way to stop it - and it stopped on its own after 30 seconds. 

Do I need to reset the alarm system somehow?  Or perhaps wait until the alarm internal battery charges up?  

Any assistance would be most appreciated. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The internal battery might be too far gone to recharge, perhaps replace this?

Does the alarm system require that battery in order to function correctly?  And any thoughts as to where to find such a battery? 

hi guys.this sounds like the same prob I had on a bmw (don't laugh)z3  and unfortunately I ended up having to reset the alarm.not too difficult if you have the info to do it,its just connecting a few terminals together with a bit of wire.the problem for me was getting too the control unit,which was fitted with security screws,and very well hidden,steve