free hit
counters
Locking Flywheel? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sir Paolo

Locking Flywheel?

Gents, a quick question please, I'm coming to the end of my engine rebuild and the next step is to refit the flywheel.

I intend to take the engine off the stand with the hoist and rest it on the garage floor and refit the flywheel. Question is, how do I lock it while torquing the bolts?

This is going to be a solo operation as I don't think the Mrs will be able to hold a screwdriver sufficiently.

Many thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Large screwdriver through the starter motor hole, stick the end of the screwdriver into the ring gear. Gives you bags of leverage and you can do it yourself, one hand on the screwdriver and one on the torque wrench!! As Archimedes is reputed to have said... " Δώσε μου, αλλά ένα μοχλό επαρκούς μήκους και ένα σημείο για να χρησιμοποιηθεί ως υπομόχλιο και θα μετακινήσετε τη γη!"

• Like 1

Thanks, John, and your Greek is a lot better than mine!

I'll give it a go.

I believe I've got an old starter motor (not off a Lotus) somewhere in the garage - if the screwdriver method doesn't work maybe I'll see if the teeth are anywhere near similar and take it apart to rig up an elaborate locking device! 

You'll be fine with a screwdriver.....simple things work best!

Well John, I couldn't get the screwdriver method to work at all. Maybe I didn't have a big enough one.

However, in the end I used the end of a rubber mallet pushed through the starter opening from the flywheel side. It worked a treat, you also held onto the mallet handle whilst using the torque wrench for extra leverage.

Same idea, different implement! I do have some impressively large screwdrivers..... Anyway you manage it is good! Soon have the beast running again.....

Thanks John, amen to that.

Just got to fit the clutch and exhaust m/fold then in it goes!