free hit
counters
Sticking throttle - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
lguy

Sticking throttle

Hi all

I've been having some very occasional sticking throttle problems for a little while, and I've just finished putting a recon engine clutch, silicon hose all round with stainless clips, fuel tanks and loads of other bits and bobs, went out for the first test run last week and the throttle is really sticking, so much that I had to grab the key to kill the engine, went back to the workshop and I can't make it stick by reving at standstill, but as soon as you drive on more than mild throttle it sticks, kicking he pedal releases it but quite scary ,

Been fiddling all week, new cable inner and outer, barrel on carb linkage every clip and linkage checked and lubed,

I'm hoping I've just found the problem, after removing the carbs and inlet manifold as a last resort

The butterfly's were just fouling the "o" rings fitted to the spacer plates, I think this was caused by the weight of the carbs/plenum/pressure reg, it's been a journey but I'm almost back on the road regards Len

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Let's hope you've found it!! Thinking about it, if the throttle has stuck and you turn off the engine, that's the time to stop and get out and have a shufti...see if the cable is slack...if the butterflies are stuck...try to isolate the faulty bit. Anyway, good luck!!

The butterfly's were just fouling the "o" rings fitted to the spacer plates, I think this was caused by the weight of the carbs/plenum/pressure reg, it's been a journey but I'm almost back on the road regards Len

I'm just trying to visualize how properly seated "O" rings could possibly interfere with the butterflies???

I'm waiting for the new seals to turn up, I'll take some pics of the butterfly's and o rings to give a better idea Len

John, I did cut the engine and coast to a stop, had the engine cover off before I left so popped the "hatch" and the brand new cable was sloppy, so not the cable, lent into the carb area just touched the centre linkage and it snapped back, tried to make it jam again but no way would it stick , I've only taken the carbs off because I don't know what else to do, I know Webber carbs inside out my cortina has them, and I know there are some levers that could jam, but on the delorto I've looked and there's not a lot inside to stick, so my money is still on the rings.

John W, as the butterfly's open the bottom part pushes out towards the inlet manifold and the rings are so close, and they had a bit of flakey rubber waving about and to be honest I'm stuck for more ideas

I will cure it before I take the car home, I won't be beaten,

I'm finding the Esprit easier to work on now after so much time spent on it, it just makes me smile some of the daft things I've come up against, like, fuel tank fixings, wood, sponge, the amount of water hoses and clips,

Obviously fun doesn't come for free with these cars...

Can't help you much with your problem but at that point,some dismantling might be beneficial.

Vacuum in the track might be what's pulling in whatever is making your throttle stick.

Good luck

Update on the throttle problem

Ordered new seals for the spacer plates, I was sent 'o' rings instead of the correct clip together seals,

Not to worry I modified the originals and turned the spacers upside down and the butterfly's cleared

Put carbs back on and went for a test drive ............no more sticking throttle, it may sound odd that the

Butterfly's could stick, but I've done nothing else so I'm convinced that was the problem

No photos I'm afraid still don't know how to do it, shame as ive got loads of pics to share

Regards Len

Another update on the sticking throttle problem

As I've said previously the butterfly's were catching on the spacer seals

I was sent, what I now know to be the incorrect 'o' rings, and that's why I modified the seals on the car

I now have the correct 'o' rings and I'm amazed how well it all fits

John W I now see why you questioned the butterfly's catching

I must post some photos and you will see why I was so confused

Regards Len