free hit
counters
Golden age of computing - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Golden age of computing

Evil_Dr_Fish

Remember the days of things like these in magazines? :(

ProfanationMap.gif

I have a Microdrive and Speccie I may well just have to set it up again (an emulator is all well and good but the keys just don't feel rubbery!!!) :(

Dig out Alien8, Knightlore, Sabre Wulf, Kokotoni Wilf, Frank Bruno's Boxing! CLASS!

Nostalgia_mode = off;

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome game!

I got that game on the day of release on the friday... Sat down and had it completed by the sunday :(

Apparently the prize for completion had "already been claimed" :(:)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

Ahh the days of when I'd spend an full afternoon typing a game entirely in hexadecimal into my ZX81 only to be mere bytes from the end and get Ram Pack Wobble! :(

zx81.jpg

SkoolDaze is another one I absolutely MUST dig out too :P I had a Beeb so totally missed out on what everyone else was going on abuot when they were playing it :(

Ditto the whole Manic Miner thing - we didn't get it until it had long since passed :)

Amstrad cpc464 with colour monitor, got it as a joint christmas present between me and my brother! we used to play for hours then use our pocket money combined togher to buy the budget games on the spinning rack thing at the local garage :) i loved those days, in fact so much i purchased one of ebay with loads of games about two years ago and had a night of gaming in with my brother jet set willy, roland on the ropes, oh mummy, bruce lee, lotus turbo challenge, manic miner,the list goes on :(

regards dan :(

A

Still got my old speecy . Anyone remember the small tape drives got them as well.

As for games cant really remember have to get the box out of the loft. But Space shuttle and grand prix game seem to come to mind . Always remember the qualifiers.......PREPARE TO QUALIFY...... the computer would announce.... :):(

Cliff :(

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Each machine had the definitive verions of one Coin op game or another :(

There was such rivalry then as well - it continues today with those who insanely still try to insist the Atari ST was a superior machine to the Amiga! (lmfao - The A500 was superior by every measure!) and those who still insist on thinking that Apple make computers! :P:(

The Amstrad iirc had the definitive version of Kung Fu Master :)

The Beeb had Planetoids (Defender) and Monsters (Panic) Elite was the best on the BBC - despite certain enhancements on the bigger ram'ed machines it was converted to. Just Like The Way Of The Exploding Fist was absolutely the best on the C64 :P

The Atari 800XL gets forgotten easily in the UK as it really didn't sell that well (unlilke in the States!) and in many ways it was probably better than the C64!

Today, you would never get away with the level of plagiarism of game ideas that went on back then!

I still have a mint condition Amstrad CPC 6128, loads of games, but never use it!

It would take 8 (EIGHT) hours to run one picture from a mandelbrot set program I typed in- and that took me nearly 6 months to program and de-bug. Happy days...?.

Anybody interested in giving it a good home?

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

Must admit I have a SNES emulator on the PC SIMPLY for Street Fighter 2 - tried loads of othe nostalgic games as well but none of them interest me for more than about 30 secs.

Totally hooked on Rome Total war (actually Rome Total Realism mod) now for a year or so - has to be one of the best games EVER, nothing like routing a huge barbarian army and the computer saying 'OK you've won, quit now or run the little buggers down with the cavilary ?' B)

Now if only they could get Michael Palin instead of Brian Blessed to do the voice over like in Life of Brian.

"Wome is youw fwend" :(

Great stres relief at the end of the day.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Don't tempt me!!!

I'm the biggest, saddest collector of early computers!!

Got almost everything from a ZX80 and a Vectrex to a QL and Amiga!

All my friends got Commodore64 and I got Spectravideo328. I remembered best games were skijump, ninja and perhaps the best spectron (shooting aliens) :lol: Still have that Spectravideo somewhere.

then I got Amiga500 whoa that was a speed monster :lol:

And now I'm a nerd in Ministry of Justice :lol:

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

My first computer was an Acorn Atom followed by the Commodore route of Vic-20, C-16, C64, C64+, Amiga then onto PC's.

A friend of mine's relative wrote the Taxi game on the RM Nimbus machines :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Don't tempt me!!!

that's the history of technology, it's nice to hear someone is preserving examles of the evolution.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

- Mario Andretti

remembering 'Daley Thomsons Decathalon' here...

the hammering of the keys to make the guy run,

on the old rubber keyed 48k you could use a golf

ball to rock between the keys and make him go a

bit quicker.

My big memory was going into coventry city centre

to an amusement arcade (by the parsons nose chippy

for those that knew 80's cov). My mates scrap dealer

dad gave us an oily twenty and we spent whole days

in there on it.

One word: Gauntlet

Four player game, best value AND you could attack your

mate if he was getting more life than you. Remember now

"Warriors life force is running out!" blaring out the speaker.

Nowadays if you gave a ten year old a twenty and sent them

to get a bus into the city to spend all day there unsupervised?

:lol:

Likewise, my dad sent me off to the woods to play with my

eighth birthday present - an airgun. Imagine that now...

My old man is clearing out his attic this week. I believe there's a box of Spectrum and Amiga games up there. In fact there should also be an old Amiga 2000, complete with Syndicate concept art somewhere...

It may already be too late, but if anyone's interested in any of that stuff, feel free to speak up.

Bulk%20Paint.png

Jussi - I thought thatjob only existed in the works of George Orwell or Terry Gilliam!! :lol: :lol:

1984-for-the-love-of-big-brother.jpgbrazil.jpg

OLD SCHOOL GAMES ARE AWESOME!

Do you remember the Amiga Console!

amiga-1000.jpg

Remember this game!

lotus-2.gif

I had an Amiga 1000 (back in 85) first computer.

And later I bought an Amiga 3000 (32bit machine in 1990) still have it in the closet, all 25MHz.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Don't tempt me!!!

Bloody Good Job they broke up 'Colussus'.

Otherwise your ma would have big trouble cleaning your room !!

Mike :lol::lol::lol:

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

Hahaha!

Ohh... for my own Cray2!!

SEE!!!!

THIS Bloody Ebay is what happens when you put thoughts into my head! :lol:

I'm going to have to consider bidding on this now! :lol:

BBC Micros/Spectrums/VIc20s ?

I can beat that lot by a few years :

This is what I had :

uk101b.jpg

It's a UK101, but I actually had a Superboard II, which the UK101 copied.

And, before that, I used one of these :

pet2001-black.jpg

A pet 2001 !! That was in, let me see, 1977.

Right then, said Fred.