free hit
counters
Rear Suspension Assembly - Help Please! - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
robington

Rear Suspension Assembly - Help Please!

Hi

I am having trouble getting the lower link to go back in - it's at a bit of an angle. I have tried pushing it in with a jack till the car lifted and it was scraping off the rubber on the bush. I have also tried the jack under the drop link to adjust the positioning, again till the car lifted up. The radial arm has the same amount of spacers etc and that looks ok - is there anything else I need to check or is it just brute force - does not seem right to me.

On the plus side it looks nice and shiney now!

Thanks in advance.

Robin.

DSCF1066_1067x800_zpsf3d94374.jpg

DSCF1073_1067x800_zps403d3fc9.jpg

DSCF1077_1067x800_zps588ed697.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

In the past, I've had an easier time with it by doing the inner end first and doing the long bolt at the damper + hub carrier last, using a jack to compress the damper.  And if that doesn't work, then do the radius arm mount last, as its length will give you more leverage for moving it around.  No matter how you do it, attaching the damper last should make it easier.

"Your mileage may vary" . . .

Hope this helps!

- Tony

I had the same problem doing mine and use the radius arm bush last option.  Which is made easier by the bolt being a smaller diameter than the bush sleve.

Thanks Gents

I started to do the other side in a different sequence, leaving the damper assy last and the lower link slid in with no problem, so all I have left on that side is the spring and damper assy. I ran out of time today, but if I get the damper on ok when I come to do it,  then I will go back and remove the damper and spring assy on the troublesome side and see how I get on. 

Thanks again.

Robin.

Looks a little dry, a good dousing with WD40 will greatly ease insertion.

Hi All

Well after having success with the left side yesterday I thought I would go back to the troublesome right side this evening. I took the damper assy off and that made no difference so I thought I would wind the long studded bar back out and look at the lower link. The bushes look ok to me. Without really expecting success i thought I would fit the lower link from the chassis end first then offer it up to the drop link and it revealed more clearly the problem. The drop link is relatively free to move around but as you can see the lower link bush is way out of line. Its as if the bushes are not in straight. I could try and force it, but that really does not seem right to me. Any further suggestions

Thanks

DSCF1102_1067x800_zpse59c9279.jpg

DSCF1098_1067x800_zps4b1961f4.jpg

I recall the bushes being non-parallel when comparing the ends, you have got it the right way round I take it.

To me it looks that if you now raise the hub the bolt/ shaft will rotate enough to slide into the bush.

Ahh yes!

Thank you Andy - it worked fine - These forums are great!

Was it resolved by putting  it the other way round  or jacking up the hub?

Both really. I put it in chassis end first, then jacked up the hub as Andy said. I have not got the damper assy on yet and wont get time till Friday to look at it.

Thanks again.

Robin.

I always do the chassis end last.  Line it up so the bolt goes part way in from the back, then get a good lever above the arm, push heavily on it to pivot the other end of the bush into place, and the bolt will pop right in with minimum persuasion.

Had problems with this, too. I noticed that the end of the bolt at the chassis fitting isn't flat, but rounded...so I turned up a fitting tool from one of the old bolts. This has a tapered end and the other end has a dish in it, where the end of the bolt fits snugly. Then I tapped the tapered tool through the chassis and the link, which got it nicely aligned...and followed it through with the new bolt. The dished part of the tool allowed the bolt to drive the tool out as you tapped the head of the bolt...protected the thread and it went through a treat! Important to get the suspension into the best possible position for alignment first, but there's always a bit of an alignment hassle at the end....

• Like 1