free hit
counters
S2 front springs need help - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sprint123

S2 front springs need help

Hello,

I am restoring an 1978 Esprit S2, the chassis is almost completed but I have some misterious trouble with the balance of the chassis. The front springs seem to be to long and to hard. As you can see the chassis is quiet low at the back an very high on the front end. When I stand on the back of the chassis the suspensions works, when I am standing (with 75 KG) on the front traverse nothing happens the suspension does not compress a milimeter. the arms do work easy without springs mounted.

On my car the number of coils are front 10 and rear 10. Rear spring has slightly lower diameter than the front spring.

Did I have interchanged the front and rear springs, as they look quiet the same. As the springs where sandblasted and powder coated, I can not identify them. Please can you tell me the general diameter, the diameter of the wire, the number of coils and the overall height of the front and rear springs. Perhaps the powdercoater has returned parts from another car, I dont know.

Looking forward for any advice,

thanks lutz.

post-13355-0-35963700-1371407411.jpg

post-13355-0-56096600-1371407425.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Lutz,

I think you have the springs front to back.  The front of the S1/S2 is very very light in comparison to the rear. So your firmer springs would need to be on the rear.

Edited by GavinS1

HI Lutz,

do you have original coils or aftermarket ( SJ) units?

The specifictions are reported on the Workshop manual, if you have not I can supply the page to you, but...the end of the springs, where the coils sits on the arm (front) and shock (rear) are different, the rears are cutted on the diamater and they are like an arrow to sit flat on the shock absorber plate, the front are not.

Check this details and let us know.

Giorgio

Hello,

the springs are the original ones from the car, they were never changed. Both front and rear springs have the upper end flatened to fit on the upper rubber ring between chassis and spring, both lower ends are cut off rectangular to fit in lower (front) arm and shock absorber (rear).

Except a slight difference in diameter there is no visual difference between the springs. The wider diameter seems to fit better at the front suspension, but is too hard....?

Yes, please send the page of the workshop manual.

thanks, Lutz.

rear spring detail while dismounting

post-13355-0-74753100-1371412312.jpg

Could it be that the  back end already has the bulk of its load in place ( engine) whilst the front has nothing.   Re reading your post you say that there is no movement on the front at all so maybe that's not it.

Edited by mdw