free hit
counters
Tracker - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Will 1-2-1

Tracker

My Evora S Sports Racer is on schedule to be delivered in the next couple of weeks and today I checked my insurance provider ( Direct Line) for the cost difference for a change of vehicle from my Esprit V8. Direct Line say I have to have a tracker fitted for it to be covered against theft if I was to be covered by them with the value of the car being above £60k +.

My question is have any of you guys had to have a tracker fitted on your Evora to get insurance cover against theft. If not what insurance company would you recommend and if so which trackers system is the best for value with this being an annual subscription.

Regards

Will

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not that my setup will help you regarding your insurance since I am in the US, but I have a tracking device that I can monitor myself (unlike Lojack where it has to be activated by a theft and located by the police).

I can track my car myself from any computer or my cell phone. I also use a geofence so if my car moves, I am instantly notified. I can even set it up to disable the ignition if stolen (once the car is shut off it will not start again) although I have not done that yet since I would have to hack into the wiring and I don't want to ruin my warranty. Tracking it myself is fine for me as I am capable of making a recovery if needed. :police:

I'm not sure if you can use something like that by you or if that will satisfy your insurance but it works well for me here since I have total control. Its also nice to be able to check it whenever I want instead of having to come back to find the car missing hours or days later and then report it to activate the location services.

I use a system similar to what trractor trailer companies are using so they can watch where their shipment or truck is at all times.

Hope this helps some...

I have a tracker fitted and have moved it from car to car over last 4 years.  Well I haven't, but local approved installer does and he comes to house and works in the drive or will work at the dealer what ever suits particular situation.  I pay £150pa to Trafficmaster for Trackstar that I have fitted.  I can't remember initial purchase price and installation on first car unfortunately but he only charges about £125 for a transfer from 1 car to the next.  It is one at the level of it shouts for help if moved with engine off or obviously you can alert them.  

All not a lot of help I know but I would say, get somebody who isn't afraid or used to working on exotics.  Our local dealer had a new Exige S with dash out a few weeks ago trying to sort out the electrical mayhem an installer had caused.  In the meantime car OTR awaiting bits.

I equally have a tracker installed since buying the car. I have it configured to send an SMS whenever teh car is moved, but it can also provide full-time online tracking at request.

Made a little Andoid-App to simplify inquiry - gives me a good "find my car" feature too.

My Evora already had a SmarTrack tracker fitted when I bought it, which was handy as my insurer (REIS) required one - their cutoff was £40k value.  Cost was £149/year and one off £50 admin fee to transfer the ownership; I don't know the installation cost.  I asked REIS for their list of approved trackers last year, which I can send you if you PM me your email address.

Two months ago when shopping around for insurance REIS and CCI required a tracker for cars over £40k but Manning didn't require one.  Their criteria was based on postcode as well as car value - they were competitive on price and I think have been picking up a few Lotus owners from REIS and CCI.  You could also try 1-Answer Insurance Brokers (0800 276 1338 or 01323 481407), who have started doing tailored insurance for Lotuses.  Rich Hermida over on S3LOC set up their Lotus brokerage and they are aiming to do mixed cover for any or all of SDP, commuting, business use, track days, limited mileages, agreed value etc.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

It looks like I will be stopping with my current insurance provider so I will be speaking to Newcastle Lotus tomorrow to see if they can get me one fitted so that when I pick the car up in less that two weeks time it will be all sorted.

Regards

Will

Swap insurance companies. I have a CobraTrak on mine as fitted by the previous owner. DirectLine said it has to have one fited but most other companies don't. It's cheaper to swap insurance companies than have one fitted. Most companies specifiying trackers own the tracking companies!

To add, I went onto one of the comparison sites and put in all my details to get a quote. I then added that I had a tracker. Difference? £0.

There's more on this on my SELOC thread but the above is a good summary of what was said.