free hit
counters
Door handles... - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Warning: boring topic lies ahead...

I have the stupid non-body coloured door handles on my car. Does anyone know how easy it is to obtain a set of body-coloured ones? I presume fitting is something I can do myself -has anyone tried this?

While we're not on the subject, I hate the interior door pulls as well. Mine seem to be misaligned, with a rough leading edge. Have Lotus changed these since 2011? Again, how I can I get some upgraded items?

Thanks if you managed to sit through all of that.

S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Never tried.  Can't be difficult as dealer frequently does it.  New ones are gloss black.  Order via dealer. Not bored.

I assume you have the chromed door handles, if so, just give them a good rub down then paint them, as it's likely to cost you more to buy virgin ones (unchromed or unpainted) and then get them painted. However, there might be someone out there who wants to swap.

If you need the appropriate part number see no. 2 on here:

http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=1&MDL=20&TBL=5537&SMA=1&SMO=20&SC=0&ST=door

As for the interior door pulls, are you refering to the pulls themself which are now (since MY12) covered in leather or cloth. If so see if you can cover them. Or are you refering to the door pull release which on yours would be chromed plastic (no. 3 in the drawing above)? Lotus changed from billet aluminium door release handles in May/June 2010 so if you can source a pair of them (very rare), this will solve your rough edges issue.

I do indeed have the chromed exterior door handles and wish to change to body-coloured ones. I don't know why, but silly me I thought you could order pre-painted yellow ones... :getmecoat:

As for the interior, I'm referring to the actual door pull, not the release (which is chromed like the outside). The door pull seems to have an inner and outer part, the outer part being made of really cheap scratchy plastic that doesn't quite sit flush with the inner part, hence the brittle rough leading edge. Leather ones sound nice...

Although I adore the car, some of these build quality issues (especially on the parts of the car one interacts with constantly) really do jar. On that note, don't ever wash the car yourself -the alarming flex as you clean the roof, or the way the front light fittings move slightly as you polish them will only make this feeling worse!

Lucky you've not got a light coloured car or you'd be able to see the interior light from the outside through the fibreglass of the roof!

"Performance through lightweight" in action :D

Lucky you've not got a light coloured car or you'd be able to see the interior light from the outside through the fibreglass of the roof!

But, fixing this is one of the mandatory mods - just replace the bulb with LED. These only shine in one direction (so just make sure it is down! Ohterwise you've built an expensive (and wieldy) flashlight.

I like this as it looks like a unique feature at night!

Never tried.  Can't be difficult as dealer frequently does it.  New ones are gloss black.  Order via dealer. Not bored.

Er Justin I meant the interior pull handles are now gloss black.  Seen on a few cars at MMC.  Has anybody else noted that they are identical as far as I can tell to a Honda Civic? My son has a Type R-GT and same handles on some models. 

They're the exterior handles. Lotus has a long tradition of using other people's door handles.

I know that Bibs :unworthy: (No Morris Marina jokes) but I was referring to the interior ones as per the first post which can now be had in gloss black as I've seen them. 

Aha! When I first saw the handles in the Evora, I recognised them immediately as from the Civic. I searched all over the internet for pictures of the Civic interior to confirm this, and eventually decided I must have been mistaken. It never occurred to me until now that they're exterior handles!

• Like 1

Er... now I am getting confused with this topic!  Also topic is going a little  :offtopic: but I'm still talking about interior handles being interior handles from a Civic!  I haven't a clue about exterior as they are nothing like the exterior on same model Civic.  :question:

In fact went looking for an old post I remembered

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/31803-the-car-in-front-is-a-toyotahondafordsaab/

You are getting confused.

The interior handle of the Evora is from the exterior of a Civic Type R. 

Honda_Civic_Type-R_Heck.JPG

Nope still don't agree although I can see why you thought it.  

It is the interior one as shown in my link.  The exterior handle is M U C H longer and scaled up bigger all round - about twice in that photo you posted or in my son's car below as well as being a different shape in behind and having a key hole.  You can fully grap the exterior handle but you only use a free fingers on interior.

post-7988-0-99368700-1372171356.jpg

post-7988-0-73971000-1372171358.jpg

Are you sure Al? I can't find any pictures on the net of Civic type R interior handles anything like that. The passenger side exterior handle doesn't have the lock, and looks awfully close the the Evora's interior handles.

That's because its the same handle :)

Better to get the original 2012+ trimmed handle.

So, going back to the interior door release handles... Al's right. Civic exterior handles are about twice as big, but I haven't been able to,find any evidence that any Civics have similar interior handles. Where do they come from?

They don't come from anywhere, they are bespoke Lotus ones. Originally made from solid billet aluminium, then made from chromed plastic half way through 2010.

That's interesting. It seems odd that they would produce an almost exact copy (scaled down) of the Honda handles!