free hit
counters
You Can't Rely On Anything These Days - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roger 912

You Can't Rely On Anything These Days

For the last few months, the 89 Excel was starting to give trouble by not starting. I had to put the battery charger on for an hour or two to get enough umph to get the engine to turn over.

Took the bull by the horns and fitted a new battery. The type number over here is a 646 with 60 AH.

I was mortified when I found that the battery I replaced was only 19 years old and was originally fitted in the UK before the car was exported to S.A. in the 1990s.

Don't they make anything to last these days!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Oh, the tragedy.

I've just replaced 3 batteries at a combined age of less than 10 years. Grr.

My Dishwasher gets replaced every 3 years, my washing machine lasted 2 and my new cooker, fitted 5 years ago, blew last week.

I am tending on the side of asking your battery maker to make appliances! :unworthy:

Did you keep the receipt? :huh:

tablet-2-frontback.jpg

I've found that with care you can make things last, like my valve grinding tool. In the twenty three years I've had it I've replaced the stick twice & the rubber sucker four times.  :thumbsup:

This is quite frightening as I have just had a look at my dishwasher that I purchased in 1983, an AEG FAVORIT 250.Are you saying that it may let me down. I thought that it was just out of warranty. As I said, you can't rely on anything these days.

The manufacturer of the battery in question is no longer in business and just out of interest, it is one of the makes that was recommended by Lotus. The car was imported to SA around 1994 and it is the battery that was fitted in the UK before it was exported.

yeah, I have both daughters back at home, 2 sons and me and the Mrs (both in jobs where our clothes need to be washed separately after each shift. Believe me all our appliances take a pounding.