free hit
counters
Bonnett hinge mounting points - arrgh! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
slewthy

Bonnett hinge mounting points - arrgh!

I am referring to those two weak areas at the front of the bonnet where the hinges attach.

On my first bonnet when I bought the car, these were coming apart from, I believe, previous owners trying to close the bonnet without unlatching the stay.

On my replacement bonnet, one of these areas had already gone and a new one was 'grafted' in.

Now, despite great care in how I open/close the lid, they are coming apart once more. The failure seems to be between the 2 layers of GRP that make the bonnet sandwich. Some cracks in the actual projections also.

I have just re-glassed them but has anyone found a better solution to this weak area? You are limited to how much reinforcement you can put inside the projection as the plate with captive nuts goes there. You are also limited in how much you can put on the outside of the area as the hinge goes there - if its thicker, the bonnet edge stands proud.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Post up some pictures Simon.

Away now for a few days but will do so on my return

Simon

Is the hinge and attachment design the same as my S4?

That reminds me....I have to do one side of mine!! I was intending to epoxy the layers back together and leave it at that. Anyone with actual experience, your views would be welcome.....

Put a 2nd bonnet stay on the other side. Mine split bcause the bonnet weight was twisting it due to only being supported on one side. Tried doing the repair myself but it wasn't strong enough to took it to a glassfibre pro and it's been fine since, I'm just very careful when opening/closing and don'y have it open in windy conditions.

Doesn't help now you have the problem but once you've fixed it this should prevent it happening again.

Pete