free hit
counters
Cross brace removal - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
naasaa

Cross brace removal

Hi there

New to this forum.

I have just acquired a 1982 Lotus Esprit Turbo, after years looking and considerations.

The engine needs a head gasket replacement, to do so I'm about to lift out both engine and gearbox.

I found a minor obstacle removing the rear cross brace (A top and across the gearbox)

This cross brace is fixed with two bolts each side, vertically next to the rear body mounts. Firstly I had difficulties in removing these bolts as they were pinched in their holes. Almost like the drivetrain cradle is kind of collapsed, squeezing the brace at both ends.

Now the brace is too long to clear the body for removal.

I can either cut of at both ends, or at the body, or do both.

However, this doesn’t eliminating the press at both ends. Reinstalling it I have to enlarging the mounting holes or fix the cradle.

Have any of your experienced similar, or is this just a result of a low production assembly from factory?

Thanks

Lars

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You need to relieve the load by jacking under the hoop to remove the bolts cleanly, then jack a little more to give you just  enough clearance to remove it. (the crossmember)   Dont worry about the amount of flex, its normal  

Edited by 910Esprit
  • Like 1

Yep I found the same problem, as suggested, jack it up under the tube a little at a time and the bolts and cross piece will simply be pulled out.

John.

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

This explains, and does make sense.

Lars