free hit
counters
TRIUMPH TR3S LE MANS / LOTUS ELITE PROJECT - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
migpilot

TRIUMPH TR3S LE MANS / LOTUS ELITE PROJECT

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi welcome to TTL! I love the TR3s. I love that shape and would go for a pre TR4 if I could! I saw a pair of TR4's buzing around Norwich yesterday.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

TTL? Time to live?

• Haha 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hahahah you know Im rubbish at smpelling :getmecoat:

Do I need to write TLF out 100 times?

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Thanks, wasn't sure there would be much interest as its a Triumph, but at least it's getting a Brit engine with some racing heritage with the Lotus Marque! The original engine was around 155 BHP, I think the Elite engine is around 190 so should be interesting to see how she goes. I agree, TR4's, 5's are a nice shape also. The guy that donated the Lotus engine drives a TR3, his Elite has a 3ltr V8 fitted! Will be in touch soon with more pic's of the 3S.

Cheers, Karl

Glad to know that the TR3S is going to be restored!  As you know, the Sabrina engines were used in the TRS race cars.  All four of the TRS race cars are for sale.  Two are fully restored and are owned by Mike Otto in Germany.  The other two are in Armagh PA.  One is not restored and has I believe a TR4 engine in it.  It is drivable but not street legal and unlicensed.  The other's body has been restored but the engine has not been restored.  Both cars have the original Sabrina Twin cam engines that go with the cars.  The American cars were the property of my late boss, Charles Runyan of the Roadster Factory in Armagh PA.  Here is a link to a story about the TRS and a little about the TR3S race cars with some historic photos of the Le Mans races they were in. http://the-roadster-factory.com/Images/POTW/TRS-LeMans/TRS-LeMans.html Please note that I have no idea where the photos came from, they were something that Charles collected. Here is another link to see some photos of the two TRS in Germany. http://the-roadster-factory.com/Images/tempphotos/Old-POTW-pages/TRS-Lemans-Mike-Otto.html Here is a link to the TRS cars in Armagh PA. http://www.the-roadster-factory.com/Images/CHARLES-CARS-SALE/CHARLES-CARS.html

Not often you see a pair of twin choke SU carburettors. What other engines used them ? I know that the Coventry Climax FPF twin cam used them but there may be others.

Edited by dmottram

She's got a point, or two! :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I have not seen twin choke SU carburettors of any other size. There are of course many SU carbs of other sizes which are fitted as a pair (a la MGB/MGA/ etc) but not where there are two chokes in the one body (a la twin choke Webers or Dellortos). And then to fit a pair of such twin choke SUs on a four cylinder engine is really seeking power at whatever expense it takes.