free hit
counters
trouble with radium cai - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
acchan

trouble with radium cai

Hi guys, I need help:

last week I bought a 2nd hand radium can and my mechanic put it on. 

I drove the car last weekend on dolomiti's mountains with italian lotus owners (there were 50 of us).

I think the car is now better, the engine is very good over 3500/4000 rpm and the sound is quite good over 5000 rpm (no short gearbox and original exhaust).

I'v got only a problem: when I push the gas, there is a terrible whistle!!! it isn't a beautiful, aggressive sound, it's like a loss in a compressed circuit (my english is not well, I hope to be clear...).

I think the cai's assembling is not right (no engine light on!!!). Anyone have a pic or some pics of the radium cai correctly put on??? I've found the original on line instructions on the radium website, but for me they aren't clear...

Ps here the topic with some pics of the italian lotus owners' meeting

http://www.llcc.it/YetAnotherForum.NET/yaf_postst8759_Raduno-DoloMITICO---Ringraziamenti--foto-e-co.aspx

post-15199-0-32801200-1372086278.jpg

post-15199-0-72662200-1372086280.jpg

post-15199-0-59939000-1372086282.jpg

post-15199-0-56262400-1372086284.jpg

post-15199-0-97888600-1372086286.jpg

Edited by acchan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Whistling? Could it be a slight air leak? Maybe something just needing tightened up?

I don't have a radium so I'm not sure what it should look like when installed

I would be thinking air leak as well, but as to where in the cai, I don't know.

I would not be at all surprised if they all sound like this. I put a similar system on my Eruopa and ended up taking it off as the sound drove me mad, not nice. Be interesting to hear what other radium owners say.

C43

If it is present at 1/4 throttle or below up to 3krpm ish and goes away at above 1/4 throttle and 3krpm then they all do that (well it doesn't go away it hidden by the induction roar)!

Most induction kits do that I have heard, its more noticable on the evora due to mid engine.

Was one of the reasons I took mine off previously after a few hundred miles.

Edited by rafphillips

It is normal. At partial throttle the butterfly in the throttle body is only slightly open allowing for a little air to rush past it into the engine. The noise is just the air whistling past the butterfly. Speed or revs shouldn't really impact this just open the throttle more which will open up the path for air to flow into the engine and stops the whistling. Try it by whistling yourself and see if you can keep whistling as you open your mouth a little wider. It is just physics at work. :)