free hit
counters
engine surround heat shield - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
simon a-b

engine surround heat shield

Hi all,

I've got the engine surround out at the moment (motor is out) and the foil heat shield material on the inside is peeling away.  Seems like a good time to replace it.  Looks to be just kitchen grade aluminium foil, which I can supply... what would you good folk recommend to bond it to the fibreglass?

cheers,

Simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I used extra heavy duty Turkey foil from ASDA. Someone here used gold foil at about £100.00! I since found out its not heat shield but for electrical/radio suppression...or so I am led to believe? Makes sense to me as most of the really hot bits have proper heat shields.

Buddsy

But I like my gold - it looks so......Gold!

Dont know how much radio suppression if offers though - no issues yet.

Also, and rather surprisingly, it hasnt peeled off yet. Was kind of expecting it to.

Bought mine from Agriemach, which, incidentally, have just given us 10% off all orders - I'm about to post in the members discount section.

DSCN2195.jpg

Very McLaren :thumbsup:  F1

I knew it was someone! Looks nice Simon. I bet you even wipe your bum on £50.00 notes! hahahah Only joking!

Buddsy

I have a gold engine cover, as I have 10's of kilometers of gold foil, for hot foiling books, I put it on with contact adhesive.

Seems to be holding up ok. I think the car stuff is the same as it's a polymer, but just has an adhesive backing on it.

Can you reach the moon and back with it Chris?

Scott - yeah, but only 50s that are still warm from the press!

The Reflect-a-gold I used has an adhesive backing that I supplemented with the High temp sticky Bibs mentions. It certainly has a non-metallic surface finish and its just a gold coloured glass cloth really, so probably has no radio suppression at all. Was this more of an issue with am radio and older electronics? I'm asking 'cos I don't know.

It of course therefore pushes heat back towards the engine. Good?Bad? I have a thermal tripped fan built in to my engine cooling ducts for when stationary so its not something I worry greatly about. Water temp remains nice and cool too.

• Like 1

I can nearly I have 10KM rolls of the stuff.

The hot foil stuff is metal as it's based on an aluminium carrier

thanks all, will look for good high temp glue.

cheers

simon