free hit
counters
Slick Stick - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hopo

Slick Stick

Why is the Gearchange on my Turbo Esprit like fighting with a Marlin? What do i need to check over? where should i start? im getting the odd crunch, rare but occasionally when going into second it occurs.

I have noticed that the resevoir for the clutch slave fluid in the front has depleted somewhat so ive topped this up. dont think it feels any different.

the Na has a great gearchange, slick as anything, very unespritlike infact

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My first thought would be to bleed the clutch.

Then it's a case of following the gear change linkage from the back forwards. The rubber and nylon bushes do wear over time and replacing will remove any slack

John

The clutch is a sealed system so if you're down on fluid there's a leak. Sparky can fix that up easily with some replacement seals :)

Stiff, is it...hmm....side to side or fore and aft? Is the gearlever stiff across the gate or when engaging a gear....or both.... If it's stiff in both directions, it could well be the clutch. Do you get graunching when you select reverse...as that has no synchro, and clutch drag would be obvious. As for the linkage...the crossgate cable could be corroded and stiff, the same as can affect the handbrake cables. The tubular linkage tends to get sloppy rather than stiff. I think the first thing I'd try would be to disconnect the crossgate cable from the gearbox...it's just a split pin or "R" clip through a clevis pin....take the pin out and you have disconnected the crossgate cable. Then wabble the lever about and see if it's stiff! If it is, then either the cable itself has corroded and gone stiff or the gear lever mechanism in the cockpit is at fault. The tubular linkage can also be easily disconnected by undoing the nut at the gearbox end..then you can check the tubular linkage. This shouldn't take more than half an hour to do, and will isolate the fault, then you can find out what it actually is!! No need to even jack the car up, you can get to all the gearbox linkage bits by simply grovelling. Lotus cars seem to requre a lot of grovelling......(!)

Many thanks for the info John, you are a bottomless pit of very useful esprit related information and always so very helpful.

I will have a fiddle at some point during the week....

... with the car