free hit
counters
B72 FOE...Passed the old MOT! - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

B72 FOE...Passed the old MOT!

What an adventure, and journey Buddsy, you did good! 

Now you need to find another lotus to restore, or you will go nuts!!!

The video, and your restore, are both out of this world, job well done sir!

Brian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I know its taken a long time but finally passed the MOT. It did fail on not having any number plate lights. I said "Are you sure? They were..." Then I remembered when I sprayed the rear bumper ta

Fantastic! Well done

It looks great. Fantastic job on the car and the video.  now you'll be able to enjoy driving  it through the summer. Trevor

Cheers Brian. I am enjoying getting to drive the car at the moment. Learning how to deal with it etc. 

Then next job is around the house. I have a couple of bathrooms need to be decorated and a couple bedrooms and a hallway! I would like to do a four seater maybe. I would love an Elan Plus 2 but the price has gone through the roof.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Good news and bad news and not so bad news today!

Good news Strattons sorted me out a key for my rear hatch! Wahey now I can lock it and stop people stealing my tools or messing with my engine! wahoo!

Bad news Norwich A47 to pick my daughter up from school in the Esprit all going well then thought I had bust the speedo cable. Then realised thats the rev countre? No RPM? I was sitting at 3000 rpm in 5th a minute ago and im still doing about 70mph? So suddenly there is no cars around me so am able coast to the Brundall roundabout and onto cucumber lane. Check cam belt phew still there, I thought maybe my throttle cable but no all ok. Fuel pump clicking. Tried to start but same outcome as when my king lead had come off. I called the AA and the chap tested no spark. By this point Im already thinking coil? He tested king lead and no spark from that. So although I needed trailering home if its only the lead come off or coil died thats not too bad?

23072013763_zps3d61b990.jpg

Good news as I was now able to lock my rear hatch was able to sit in Mcdonalds and get some tea and enjoy the warm evening as I waited. Chap arrived in the Kerely Prestige recovery vehicle which was very good. So now Im home and have a job to do in the next few days.

Buddsy

Arrgh!

Hope you get that sorted quickly and easily.

So, did your covered recovery come with the AA deal or did you pay extra for that? When I had my little bump, the remains were dragged unceremoniouslyup onto a flat bed. Very undignified! 

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Yea it was AA Felt better when you couldnt see what was being recovered. Worse when your No plate says your name!

Andy if I have no spark do you think it will be the coil?

Buddsy

It could also be the ignition amplifier.

Check that the coil is getting +12v and earth, then with the king lead going directly to an earthed spark plug, disconnect the +12v supply to the coil, you should get a HT spark. If you don't then it's the coil. If you do get a spark then consider the AB14 module, the dissy and the wiring between them.

If you get stuck, pop over and borrow the Lucas tester specifically for the setup.

Cheers Alan

Andy you got a Lucas tester?!?! The AA chap tested a spark plug on the dizzy end of the king lead.

I will undo the box and see if I can see anything obvious.

Buddsy

Nice truck Buddsy! 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

If you do get a spark then consider the AB14 module, the dissy and the wiring between them.

Havent taken apart yet but just looking at the price of new parts. AB14 where did you buy yours from? I see SJ dont list them. 

Coil is it best to buy a standard item or are any of the flash looking ones that frosts sell worth buying?

Buddsy

The AB14 is difficult to get and now obsolete. If you look on ebay at Jaguar sites you can sometimes find a secondhand one as they were fitted to a number of early Jags. I purchased a few just incase and used one a few weeks ago. Sellers seem to know they are scarce and the price of a replacement is creeping up.

I did find a company that rebuild them by search 'ignition amplifiers' on google. If I need another one I would try that route but sorry cannot remember name of site.

However before homing in on the AB14 I would try the distributor pickup or lead that goes up to the AB14. 

Thanks Mike. I will be looking at all them components and wires in there. I get the feeling a wire may have fallen off but would like to replace any thing that I can. I did see some secondhand amplifiers and thought unless mine has died I wouldnt want to swap with another old used part.

Buddsy

There a new one on ebay for £95 - However you can take them to bits and replace the GM module inside - e.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ignition-Module-For-Lucas-AB14-Jaguar-Range-Rover-Land-Rover-MG-etc-/181181280831?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a2f3ef23f

This is a bit steep - there is a reasonable chance your local motor factor could supply for nearer £20.   If interested I could sell you a new one for £20

Before you look at the module check that the pickup (2 wires from dizzy) are not open circuit.  Also try pulling the plug to the rev limiter 

Edited by 910Esprit

think i have a coil in the garage.Replaced mine before i found out it was a cracked rotor.You are welcome to it if you want it

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Cheers Alan

Andy you got a Lucas tester?!?! The AA chap tested a spark plug on the dizzy end of the king lead.

I will undo the box and see if I can see anything obvious.

Buddsy

It's a specific old piece of kit that checks the coil, AB14, pickup etc. You can do mosty of it manually.

Coil, I'm sure I have one in the garage, AB14, ditto, GM internal part, ditto, dissy- not a spare one but you could borrow one from one of the cars.

Cheers chaps for all the advice. I removed the box last night to get access to the parts. To be honest I was surprised all the wires were on. I kinda thought I may find a wire had come loose but no. All looks ok visually apart from the coil looking very old. I checked the circuit across the 2 wires from the dizzy and I get a closed circuit there. I think I am going to buy a new coil as they are pretty cheap and maybe replace the ignition module in the AB14 like Steve suggested above.

Buddsy

Just got the new coil and also the amplifier module in the post...guess what I will be doing this weekend? Hopefully it will cure my problem. I will take some pics and keep you updated!

Buddsy

Did it cure the problem?

I suspect his hands are still oily!

• Like 1

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

I had a new problem this afternoon. The warm weather led to me taking my ladies to the broads for ice cream. Sometimes other stuff has to be done! I am hoping to do the coil first tomorrow. Then to do the amplifier after that. That way i will know if it is the coil that died or not.

Buddsy  :ice:

Andy how do you try to get a spark from the coil manually? The AA guy connected a spark plug to the king lead and got no spark?

I looked at the 2 wires from the dizzy and checked I had a closed circuit across the dizzy.

Buddsy

Make sure you have a good earth and good +12v supply, then break the circuit by removing one of the leads, and repeat. That should replicate what the amp / points would do and so if you get a decent spark that way, you then know the coil is good.