free hit
counters
Starting Engine with no gearbox attached? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jeff_hooper

Starting Engine with no gearbox attached?

I have the gearbox out and want to check the flywheel isn't warped or wobbly or anything wierd is going on. My clutch has failed twice through rapidly wearing splines in the clutch plates. The support bearing on the end of the crank seems okay but will be replaced just in case. I'm thinking if I start the engine now with the box out its a way to check the flywheel is running okay. I do have a dial gauge which I could mount and check run out by turning the engine slowly by hand.

I'm wondering if I reconnect the 4 o2 sensors and find a suitable earth for the earth wiring loom bits that were attached to the gear box. I can't think of any practical reason why I can't start the engine or any harm that I could do? However, I can't helping feeling this is a stupid idea..?

Please slap me if I'm being stupid!

Jeff

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
I have the gearbox out and want to check the flywheel isn't warped or wobbly or anything wierd is going on. My clutch has failed twice through rapidly wearing splines in the clutch plates. The support bearing on the end of the crank seems okay but will be replaced just in case. I'm thinking if I start the engine now with the box out its a way to check the flywheel is running okay. I do have a dial gauge which I could mount and check run out by turning the engine slowly by hand.

I'm wondering if I reconnect the 4 o2 sensors and find a suitable earth for the earth wiring loom bits that were attached to the gear box. I can't think of any practical reason why I can't start the engine or any harm that I could do? However, I can't helping feeling this is a stupid idea..?

Please slap me if I'm being stupid!

Jeff

No problem if you get the starter attadged so you dont damage the teeths on the flywheel.

What ratios are you going for?

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

Can you not get a clock on the flywheel and take the sparks out to stop compression and crank the old girl by hand ?

Probably more resistance in a V8 but if not just pull the plugs and get the starter on it should whirl around then without a problem.

I take it the engine is supported propperly ? Only suggestion is the gearbox offers a lot of stability to the engine, starting it might twist the mounts or something or displace your support as the engine fires into life and vibrates as they do on low revs.

Post some pictures, be interesting to see both the engine and the box / clutch housing.

facebook = [email protected]

If its a single plate clutch.I would have taken it off and get the flywheel machined to get a perfect surface.I`m not sure about the 2 or 3 plate how they do it..There you might have to buy new parts.

Edited by rydning

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

No problem if you get the starter attadged so you dont damage the teeths on the flywheel.

What ratios are you going for?

Except for the revised 1st and 2nd all original ratios that is standard crown and pinion ratio. New shaft with .76 fifth.

Jeff