free hit
counters
High Mileage - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mayevora

High Mileage

So what actually Is high mileage? What do you call high mileage? Is it age related?

A one year old car with 50k miles on the clock would be considered high mileage right? but how would you classify a 10 year old car with 100K mileage - average? Or a 25 year old car with 100k? - is that low mileage?

Is there a 'number' that would put you off buying a car? Surely if a car was looked after and had a proper documented service history, is higher mileage a problem?

A car can look immaculate inside and out, have an impressive service history, receipts and bill, but the value of the car, most of the time is in the high or the low mileage being shown.

Do you (like me) look straight for the mileage in the classified adds? - What I have to keep telling myself is, if the engine has done that mileage, has the exhaust, turbo, injectors, clutch, gearbox ect ect?

I've always had a hypertheticle figure of 100k = high mileage but in reality many modern cars if looked after are surely fine for 200K pluss, right???

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I guess its how the milage is done.Not that you would know. If a chap worked 100 miles away and drove every day on a motorway that has to be different from a mum/taxi driver stopping and starting all day with people getting in and out. What Im trying to say more use will be more wear and tear on all the parts including the interior. Funny thing with the older Lotus's I think almost opposite is true. An Esprit with a high milage shows its a good one. How many after 30 years are in the 20,000 to 40,000 miles. Quite alot...could be a reason for that!!

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

If you looking at used and the mileage you then need to look at the type of car. So say you are specifically talking high performance / prestige / limited number cars ..... Like lotus etc

50k on a new car is going to be excessive for a one or two year old from my view .... Perhaps 20-25k is even high and if you look at evoras in uk/Europe, come to that Porsches too, you do see some around that level

If you look at say a BMW M3, performance of a sorts, a 2 year old can be spotted easily in the used with horrifically high mileage

Not that perhaps you care but each country has a different view on mileage ....... In Japan they don't expect to see a used lambo, fezza etc with more than 3k kms a year ...... With my 2-11 here, before it wrecked, I had from new in 2008 and had done 12,000miles .... The service dealer said he'd expect it to have been around half ......half. Half would hardly have been using and with my 12k miles I felt I didnt use it much!

Mayesprit : as you say service history is all important though never a guarantee in case something just happens to give up when you have bought but history best guide

Good thing is there are so many specific forums these days you can find out anything about a specific car and model from actual owners and drivers .... Just check lamborghini, Ferrari, mclaren even and you can read everything from owners day to day to issues they had to mileage concerns ........ Ive just been posting up on the Lamborghini forums about clutch survival times and lambo say they should be replaced around 10-12kms but some owners burn through quicker and others way slower ... Non racing use!

For me personally I always look at a 2-3 year old car as being acceptable around 20-30,000 miles

* spelling grammar proviso : typed from an IPad

My Audi A8 is 10 years old and has 160,000 miles and feels like new but that car was over engineered as a luxury car so that nothing should go wrong.  I suspect though a cheap hatchback with similar mileage / age would be in the scrap heap by now.  

I guess what I am saying is for a modern car I would choose a quality / luxury / well built car with high mileage and a few years on it rather than a similarly priced car from a "lesser brand" with less miles & years.

For an Esprit the mechanics are more highly stressed so I doubt there are many 160K mile cars without some engine work.  Over using a highly strung car like and Esprit is bad, under using it is also bad as they need regular use.  Probably the most important thing is to find one that has done a few thousand miles for each of the last few years and is in good condition now rather than worry about older history.

I agree with above. My point and reason for the post - my 4 year old Mini Cooper has done 190k miles, but looks like a car that has done a 10th of that. The value of it is almost 'throw it away' imo, especially as the large majority of that is 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear town driving. My problem is when I do change it (quite soon probably) I can't find much to compare it with in the similar car/similar mileage bracket. Almost too many stamps in the service book to count, but I don't think that will count for much as when I do the 'For Sale, 4 years old, 190k mileage' half the enquirers will think it's a typo.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I'm at the opposite end of the problem I think.

Since moving house, I now live just 2 miles from work.

Obviously, I would be best walking/cycling to work apart from the lack of pavement and the need to arrive in a suit each day.

So, what vehicle suits a 4 mile a day trip? I wont put many miles on it but that doesn't really warm up the engine so cant be good for it. Definately not the Esprit. Any petrol/diesel tolerate that? I am assuming lots of wear or does the amount of wear take place anyway in the early part of a journey, regardless of the overall distance? 

• Like 1

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

82%20Tough%20Burner.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Are you offering me a straight swap Bibs? ;)

I'm at the opposite end of the problem I think.

Since moving house, I now live just 2 miles from work.

Obviously, I would be best walking/cycling to work apart from the lack of pavement and the need to arrive in a suit each day.

So, what vehicle suits a 4 mile a day trip? I wont put many miles on it but that doesn't really warm up the engine so cant be good for it. Definately not the Esprit. Any petrol/diesel tolerate that? I am assuming lots of wear or does the amount of wear take place anyway in the early part of a journey, regardless of the overall distance? 

Perfect application for an  electric car or plug in hybrid.  If you did that with my roadster you would only need to charge it every other month!

Hmm, was considering that.

Does that mean that electric cars are not going to be judged on their mileage, high or otherwise? Or is it even more important?

Off to check Tesla prices now.....

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Mr Musk awaits your tweet / Skype / facebitch message

190k on a 4 year old mini .... Right on.. That's truly putting in the miles

Hmm, was considering that.

Does that mean that electric cars are not going to be judged on their mileage, high or otherwise? Or is it even more important?

Off to check Tesla prices now.....

Electric cars have very few moving parts to wear out so the only mileage related concern is really the battery.  I have lost 1 mile of range in 30,000 miles / 2 years of driving the Tesla so pretty happy about that.

As for Tesla prices - doubt you will find any for sale.  Not many in the UK and those who have them seem to be keeping them.  Also there is no way you will drive 2 miles each way to work - you will find a 20 mile diversion!

Actually if you are serious about an EV and only have 2 miles each way - how about this

post-42-0-21073800-1372421923.jpg

I can not decide if I love or hate it but its certainly different.  One going for 4K on Autotrader.

Electric cars have very few moving parts to wear out so the only mileage related concern is really the battery.  I have lost 1 mile of range in 30,000 miles / 2 years of driving the Tesla so pretty happy about that.

As for Tesla prices - doubt you will find any for sale.  Not many in the UK and those who have them seem to be keeping them.  Also there is no way you will drive 2 miles each way to work - you will find a 20 mile diversion!

Actually if you are serious about an EV and only have 2 miles each way - how about this

attachicon.giftwizy_ze_concept_3.jpg

I can not decide if I love or hate it but its certainly different.  One going for 4K on Autotrader.

I saw one today!!! it was tiny looked like clarksons one man car, would not fancy it in an accident no matter what they say about saftey shell

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I bought a 4 year old skoda superb with 100k on it  and 5 variable services. I was as sure as I could be it had sat on a motorway to and from work for most of its 4 years.  I stuck another 150k on it and sold it to a polish dude for £1600 18 months ago.  Best car I have had. Only had one hose , a alternator bearing and a drivers window cable apart from servicing and consumables.  The 60k 4 year old Passat estate I replaced it with  has been no where near as good.

And I spotted a twizzy on the M20 yesterday. I did think no  worse than a bike  but im not sure if you are better of being trapped in the thing or sliding away from it if it falls off the road.

Edited by mdw