free hit
counters
Considering Evora again, a few questions.... - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jimmy p

Considering Evora again, a few questions....

I have just posted this on pistonheads but I know not everyone plays on there.

Anyway I have never owned a Lotus so be gentle.

I am currently considering selling my 2010 Porsche Boxster S and would love a red evora. I wanted to buy one last year but got put off by being told it probably wouldn't fit into my garage. I have managed to get a 996 C4S 911 in it and 987 Boxsters. Are evoras wider than them???  Everyone seems to love there evoras, are they really that good?  How many warranty issues have people had and if I buy one out of warranty I am going to get expensive problems, my nearest dealer is about 60 miles from me in Leeds so don't really want to be continually having to trek up north collecting big bills. Any advice appreciated.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would take a day and go for a tour of the factory in Norwich and see how they are made. Then stop in at Strattons in Norwich or your localish dealer and book a drive of one. They are very good but you want to speak to people who own them.

Buddsy

My red one is for sale presently on PH and only because I have an S on the way.  Evora No.3 which says it all, I love it.  Lousy photos I'm afraid.  Willing to come and go a bit on the price.  PM me if interested as a full spec and low miles and been kept by main dealer in tip top condition.  We can have a chat if interested.  I go offshore on Wednesday evening so be quick although I can still e-mail easily.

My last car (before Evora's that is) was a 2005 Boxster S with all the Aerokit in red.  Using same garage the Evora is about 1" wider roughly from memory.  It fits through a standard 7' single garage door anyway!  The wing mirrors are just wider than the rear haunches. Length wise the Evora is very slightly longer but only because of a more pointed nose but uses less garage floor space overall so a play with the junk in there and it fitted without dumping junk.

As far the driving experience I was driving my favourite triangle of roads round this way - my own test track as a great mix of road types - in my 1st Evora on day 1 (still running in) faster through the bends than I had done in the Porker.  Even if it was only the same speed by the time run in and familiar with the car I am leaving Boxster S driving mate for dead these days. He's running out of excuses why he is a speck in the distance.

I'm not saying the Porker isn't better built but the overall experience is simply better.  I to am 40+ miles from dealer so don't want to visit them too often either.

I have seen yours on pistonheads, sounds lovely, would prefer a +2 however I wouldn't turn down the right car at the right price. I have just advertised mine at a good price so will have to see how that goes. Thanks for the info re garage, it's the width and getting in and out that's my concern, it's a shame you are so far away!!

It's 2047mm wide including the mirrors :)

My 911 GT3 owning friend had a go of the manual S I had and said it was the best car he's ever driven by a country mile. Another friend asked if the suspension was made from magic?! They really are great cars, very complimentary and rewarding to good driving. 

It's quite a low car so has a bit of an optical illusion of being wider that it is. If its tight garage then it might be a bit difficult getting in and out as the food needs to be pushed quite far out to get reasonable access.

I bought mine recently (first Lotus) and can only say I think its perfect. It's had about 8 warranty issues dealt with by the previous owner and just had the locks done last week under warranty. Check all these niggles have been sorted and then just do it. The quality isn't half as much an issue as the forums some times imply it is.

DOOR not FOOD!! ;-)

Also posted on PH

My 2p..

The Evora won EVO Car of the Year 2009, awards don't get much higher than that. I have had mine three years now and its the longest I ever kept a car, its that good. Its a great all rounder. A Lot of other owners feel the same. One owner on the LotusForums is about to get his 4th Evora delivered. That says a lot.

Mine fits in a single garage, its tight getting it in but it fits. You'll need to google the actual dimensions. On the travel questions, yes it is a pain getting one with a lot of problems. My understanding is now almost all of these niggles have been ironed out in the used cars, and simply aren't there on the new cars so its win win.. I had quite a few issues with mine initially but its been faultless in the past year.

As for comparing it to a Boxster, well I think only you can do that. The Boxster will be better built for sure, but personally I find them a little bland. I have people asking questions, taking pictures of mine all the time, Boxsters tend to blend into the background. Depends what you want from your car. IMO a sports car should feel special/unique which the Evora does in buckets.

Have a quick read of my thread for ideas of costs etc (its been updated a few times throughout it ).

As for comparing it to a Boxster, well I think only you can do that. The Boxster will be better built for sure, but personally I find them a little bland. I have people asking questions, taking pictures of mine all the time, Boxsters tend to blend into the background. Depends what you want from your car. IMO a sports car should feel special/unique which the Evora does in buckets.

This is key for me.  I often get people pull up on the inside or outside of me when on the motorway and just as I think to myself I've got someone being a dick, I look across to see a camera pointed at the car as someone's taking a pic.  I don't really understand why people like boxters anyway so I can't provide an objective comment on comparisions, but the Evora is a total pleasure to drive everytime, I love it when I'm driving past shops and I catch the reflection in a window. 

I love it when I'm driving past shops and I catch the reflection in a window. 

_39784915_tosh_suitsyousir203b.jpg

Oh! Suits you sir!...

Buddsy  :hrhr:

• Like 1

We did a roadtrip recently through Scotland. Me an SWMBO in the Evora, friends in a Cayman. Pictures taken from the Evora vs. Cayman probably 5:1. Ad they only took so many pictures of the Cayman because we stickered both cars up.

Does anyone keep their evoras outside as I may be forced to if it wont fit in the garage, are there custom fit car covers available??

Edited by jimmy p

WHAT kind of stickers made british guys take a pic of a cayman?

Probably had a picture of an Evora on the side :) 

Does anyone keep their evoras outside as I may be forced to if it wont fit in the garage, are there custom fit car covers available??

http://www.thelotusforums.com/shop/car-covers/223-lotus-outdoor-car-cover.html

I've never had a car where I've been photographed and filmed so much. Went out with a neighbour who has a V8V and he couldn't believe the attention the Evora got.

I have considered changing it but then I drive it and fall in love again. That and I can't find anything that comes close for driving pleasure.

Only major thing to worry about is the clutch - just don't buy one if its noisey.

There is only one solution = CLEAR THE GARAGE........kids bikes out the back & wife now parks at end of the drive....also you'll need room for the deck chairs as you sit long into the night admiring your most excellent decison making... :lol:

post-15629-0-15226200-1373330168.jpg

Yes. Lives outside and no issues. No water issues (and we all know how much its rained this year!) Was considering a cover for a bit but then just decided I'd treat the car to a top notch Valet with super dooper polish every spring and not worry about it as its probably one of the most rust proof cars in the world! ;-)

P.S has anyone had any rust issues? I'm still only a few months into ownership.. It's mostly alloy and plastic/composite or fibreglass ehh?! Anything to lubricate with something or other? My wheel nuts and outer disks have slight corrosion but nothing to worry about...I look after the sills with a special spray from my old convertible car... Any advice appreciated!

post-15194-0-29154200-1373333576.jpg

Edited by auRouge