free hit
counters
Clutch fork broke - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Fortunately it was in my street. After the tow home a quick look revealed the fork broke.

I had been in peak hour travel only a few minutes earlier so relieved it picked a convenient spot to break, very considerate.

The car's only done 60k's and a quick web check indicates it's a rare occurrence. The same thing happened to my other car a couple of years ago too. It was a pain to repair being a transaxle with limited accessibility. The Esprit box removal is a piece of cake in comparison.

Oh well these things are sent to try us...

DanR

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So there have been a few of us with this. A design fault maybe? It is with the Porsche fork.

On our usual walk this morning I found the broken section in the gutter.

I'll either weld the broken one and add webbing or get a new one and still add webbing.

DanR

I'll either weld the broken one and add webbing or get a new one and still add webbing. 

Don't do that, you'll only be transferring the stresses away from where you've added the webbing to the ends of the webbing & making it far more likely to break.  :thumbdown:

You'd need to re-manufacture the whole arm in a heavier gauge steel in order to strengthen it. 

Maybe the release arm should be considered a service item like the other clutch components (diaphragm spring & release bearing).   :thumbsup:

I'd also look to getting yourself a replacement clutch pack as soon as convenient rather than waiting until you get around to getting the transmission out as Lotus have a habit of being out of stock of clutches from time to time. They were when mine needed replacing.    :thumbdown:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

• 1 month later...

The same thing happened on my S4s on about the same day!  I have looked since then for the part, but it is not available in the US.  If you find a supply, please let me know.  I may get one custom machined.

-Glenn (lcf_guy on lotusTalk)

It happened a few years ago to me to on my S4s - worked out that the clutch was badly adjusted.  With your foot to the floor on the clutch it was pushing the fork against the edge of the housing.  Something to check when you fit a new one.

The forks were redesigned twice, revision C being the third and best one. One part of the redesign was to widen it so that the bearing couldn't rotate the base plate when the fork was at nearly full deflection, they may have strengthened them as part of that design. The S4S/ Sport 300 clutch has a higher clamping force but retain the same pivot point and fork, so I suspect those are going to be more likely to brake than one that's just serving the other clutches.

• 11 months later...

Not looking to "get forked," but I'd be interested in procuring a membership application for the Gobi Desert Canoe Club. 

Sounds very exclusive. :D 

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

It took months for me to find a replacement fork (none in US), but one was found in Germany.  I suspect the clutch was mis-adjusted.  Future breaks might require custom machined supply.  I ended up taking out the engine & tranny to do it (long thread on lotustalk).

I'm probably going to get shot down for this, but do people know for sure that the popular Landy alternative slave cylinders are the same bore?  I bet it's a contributory factor.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Yes, they are exactly the same bore. I know 'cos I measured the original slave cylinder before I fitted the Series 2 Landy one. I checked all the dimensions with a vernier: they're the same.

One thing that occurred to me is that the pushrod is (to my to my way of thinking), a little bit too short, which translates into bigger side-loading on the slave cylinder piston/bore than a longer rod.

None of this helped with the fact that I think my clutch is still knackered, though!

Margate Exotics.