free hit
counters
Broken front lower wishbone - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Has anyone ever broken a front lower wishbone (without having a crash)? Only I have just snapped my second in 13 years.

The average is five & a half, so I'm sure she'll be quite impressed if a little embarrassed.  

Need to know.

Where do you live, road condition and surface.

Condition and adjustment of shock absorbers

Spring rate

Tyre pressures

Use of vehicle

Same side, same car

Failure in the same place.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Merseyside UK

Lotus suspension upgrade 5 years ago (Bilstein and Eibach and factory settings). Was factory from 1997 previously

Pressures 30 front and 28 rear with SmartTire monitors. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres, standard sizes

Daily use, 3,000 to 4,000 miles ayear. Fastidiously maintained.

Same side and same car and failed same place

Moved to this house 10 years ago. Did 20,000 miles and suffered failure in 2007. Factory original suspension to this point.

Now, 6 years later, failed again, New Lotus suspension for last 20,000 miles.............

.........Oh, I almost forgot. Since living at this address, I estimate I have no option but to drive (very slowly) over 3,500 speed "cushions" a year and 800 nasty speed bumps. I tried to get the council to reduce the ridiculous height and angle of these things and despite a 1,000 signature petition, I was treated like a moron. Any chartered mechanical engineers in the UK want to take this on, please do. By the way, part of my job involves the court system and so all my mates are lawyers.

.........Oh, I almost forgot. Since living at this address, I estimate I have no option but to drive (very slowly) over 3,500 speed "cushions" a year and 800 nasty speed bumps. I tried to get the council to reduce the ridiculous height and angle of these things and despite a 1,000 signature petition, I was treated like a moron. Any chartered mechanical engineers in the UK want to take this on, please do. By the way, part of my job involves the court system and so all my mates are lawyers.

So, get an engineer's report that states the breakage is due to the "ridiculous height and angle"  of the speed bumps & sue their god damn asses off.  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Well? Has anyone? This is a real issue which could damage any of our cars (or us) someone has to make a stand. Someone out there must have the necessary qualifications in engineering. All that is needed for a tyrant to gain control is for men of good conscience to remain silent.

Have you tried calling a solicitor? They will have access to court recognised expert witnesses whose testimony you will need if you intend to sue.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Guest modifiedv8engines

Seems a bit strange to have had two wishbones crack

If nobody else has had similar then it may be a car dependant issue.

Be interested in seeing images of the cracks to determine whether these are near weld heat affected zones or elsewhere.

I am aware of the methodology used to manufacture these components since i made hundreds of these whilst workign in Lotus fab shop some years ago.

Could be the material used but from memory the front tube portion of the lower link/wishbone was made from CDS tube and was MIG welded to the main fabricated steel link. This part was machined from steel plate on a Trump machine and then folded, jigged and welded in stages.

After manufacture all such components where galvanised and from memory no issues where apparent from that process other than distortion but since the wishbone structure was ridgid and well desinged the latter was not a problem.

My car has a off side broken front road spring which I know occured from a 2 mph jouney over a speed "mountain" ........ Height of this is such that the front spoiler lip scrapes when the front of the car goes over so in my opinoin the angle of the ramp(s) needs to be less harsh.

£130 quid for another pair of springs and the time to do it.

My car has a off side broken front road spring which I know occured from a 2 mph jouney over a speed "mountain" ........ Height of this is such that the front spoiler lip scrapes when the front of the car goes over so in my opinoin the angle of the ramp(s) needs to be less harsh.

The maximum permissible height of speed bumps is 4 inches according to the The Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1999, so unless you've increased the size of your front spoiler it's illegal.  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Guest modifiedv8engines

Hi John

Front Spoiler and lip is as fitted by the factory and same as that fitted to later cars to 2004.

So whilst the regs say 4 inches - what about after tarmac settlement and the daily frequency of trucks, cars and other vehicles (tractors here!).

I have just been on the phone to Norfolk County Council reporting my broken road spring incident and also that 2 garages I know, advise broken coil springs are now almost a daily event/job.

I know you already know this but consider......

So in terms of road safety......

New cars = no MOT fo 3 years

Older cars MOT every 12 months

Broken road springs will result in less than ideal road holding, handling and braking. Scenario with say a broken front road springs results in additional weight on the lower corner as a result of the broken spring.

This in turn means unequal weight distribution for braking on dry or wet roads And.........with cars only being tested on a 12 monthly cycle, in theory a car could be uninspected for a few days less than 12 months and traveling about waiting to catch out an unsuspecting driver.

Not a problem at low speed but average motorway speeds of 80 - 90 MPH .....not good

The broken spring issue is not quite so bad with a coil over type suspension as the spring cant really go anywhere but consider a more modern everyday vehicle with Macpherson strut, and a broken spring could result in a punctured tyre. At any speed - no thanks !!

I am intending to put in a claim for the cost of 2 front coils + labour.

If anyone else has had similar issues, call, email or phone your County council pointing out that their road calming measures could potentialy result in serious road traffic accidents or worse.

Guest modifiedv8engines

Six to 6 & 1/2 inches for Esprit V8 owners John !!

On a more serious note - given my front lip spoiler scrapes when going over these speed humps, it would appear the council have not followed the 1999 regs or possibly not considered the settlement of the tarmac either side

I dont expect to get compensation or a return call but if I do will post the outcome as it may be useful for toyroom

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone,

I have just had the front left lower wishbone break at the weld of the front tube to the main structure.

My question is it weldable and is that advisable?

I have tried to source a new one, but have had no luck.

Do you know if someone has one for sale?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Robert

Bloody hell Robert. You just got your car. Total bummer.

Good on you for picking up an already existing topic on the problem (2 years old though). You could have started your own. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I got my replacements from the factory but I had to wait 9 months. I used a second hand one in the meantime. The "weld" is not a weld, the round arm which has snapped is a continuous tube with the weld supporting the join. I wouldn't take the risk of a weld and it would also be unlikely to be aligned properly. Interesting that my 2 snaps were nearside and so is yours if you are in Aus.

There should be someone in Sydney with enough smarts to weld it without distorting it. Preheat or whatever.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.