free hit
counters
Roadster vs Coupe - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bibs

Roadster vs Coupe

Andrew Lang has had the roof off his coupe already so as far as I can tell, for the same money he gets the aero if he wants to use it, the hardtop, softtop and no-top options and 175mph. The only thing he's missing is the premium interior but that can be bought afterwards (or indeed specced on purchase I would think) and it's not expensive (apart from the seats but if you were forced up upgrade after delivery you'd offset this by selling your own). 

Why would you buy a roadster?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cause its prettier?

I don't know I guess if you tell some people you can buy this car for £53K and using a spanner you can take the roof off may worry some folk? If it were that easy why don't Lotus sell the car with the ability of being both a roadster or  coupe? It would increase the cars flexibility in terms of usage. I guess though sometimes being "Jack of all trades master of none" is what it comes down to? With the roof off the coupe the airflow to the wing is affected.

So to recap I dunno... :getmecoat:

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

At what speed is the airflow to the wing affected? Any speeds you'll see in the UK? If you want it to all work correctly, put the hard top back on, best of both.

And for Lotus, they've got the perfect answer, they sell both. Why sell one option when you can sell essentially the same car as an alternative. Makes more sense, it's the same price plus they stay within OEM safety limits keeping the soft-top below 145mph. What happens when any car leaves the showroom is no business of the manufacturer as we all know.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

So why do people buy the roadster? Given the choice of the two I think I would buy the roadster. I would just feel happier. That said if everyone bought the coupe and took the roof off well that may make me rethink...if you could spec it without the spoiler on the back that would be better still. Choosing cars and colours is a very difficult job...even if you have no real chance of doing so because of money restraints right now! lol 

Buddsy

I think its a case of the roadster not costing Lotus anything to make so why not. If, for some reason, it sells well then great.

Those thinking it's softer and more luxurious are in for a shock though! I can't see many prospective Boxster owners considering it as a serious alternative, even if I consider it far superior!

I guess not everyone likes spoilers on road cars so for them it would be much better looking. Other than that I can't see an obvious reason to buy one. I like the basic shape and there's some appeal to the stealthy approach, it's a much faster car than it looks now. And just to be difficult how gorgeous would it look with a body coloured hard top?!

As mentioned before I'm completely convinced it would be a lovely ownership proposition but I'm not grown-up enough to realise that a 145mph limit might be much of an issue in the real world.

I do like spoilers but I think the aggressive ones look better on a real racer. I think they look good on the coupe and better on the cup. Its abit like the love of the Esprit S3 compared with the turbo. I love the look of the S3 N/A but also I love the look of the Turbo. If I was in a position where I could choose either I wouldnt know which way to turn!

Buddsy

Good analogy with the S3 N/A vs Turbo.

Same here, I like both!

• Like 1

Ive been getting really anxious thinking about which I would have Elise S, Exige roadster, coupe or cup...which is all irrelevant as I don't have enough cash right now to pay for a new pair of jeans let alone a new Lotus! If I did have the money right now it would be a nightmare and that's even before looking at spec and colour combos all I can say is thank God Im skint!

Buddsy  :hrhr:

• Like 1

I understand that the 145 mph limit can be removed with some fairly simple and inexpensive ECU reflashing. You never heard it from me :)

Evora NA

Well just back from France 2450 miles great blast what a machine the best Lotus ever. Now that's 6300 miles. Sorry but do not understand the roadster . Did drive through France with hardtop on for speed and to stay cool. She rides on the Evora magic carpet .

I get the best of both worlds.

Andrew

I understand that the 145 mph limit can be removed with some fairly simple and inexpensive ECU reflashing. You never heard it from me :)

Having seen what 140mph does to that roof on an Elise I wouldn't recommend removing the speed limiter either. Quite easy to believe it would be ripped clean off at 170mph and I wouldn't want to be in the car or anywhere near one when it happened.

Roof off shouldn't be a problem apart from the wind noise. Didn't Lambo have a 'roof' on the murcielago that was good for only 80mph or something like that? I bet a few of those exceeded the manufacturers recommendation! I bet a few of those are lying on the side of european motorways too. But it was such a small canvas square I doubt you'd even notice it was gone.

Well I'll be removing the limiter from mine despite your nagging not to do it on every forum; not that a limited top speed has much relevance.

Edited by kbhughes_3

Welcome to TLF kbhughes_3. :welcome:

Jonny is just giving an opinion. I actually have never seen the soft top on an elise where I live. They've always been driven around open due to the weather being so good.

You should finish off your profile and let us know your name, what car you drive. :driving: (I presume an exige by your post above)

Also duck over to the Introductions thread and say hi in there. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Whose nagging? Doesn't seem to be much of an issue here, just don't drive over 145 with the soft top in place, which as you say is very unlikely anyway!

Evora NA

I salute anyone who's getting an Exige V6 Roadster so willing to overlook manners more commonly associated with a lesser Lotus forum.

All I suggest, having done 140mph with that roof on, is that they remember why there was a 145mph limit in the first place. For their sake not mine. Equally, I have been told by someone at Lotus that the Exige S with the roof panel out can become unstable at high speed. Very easy to be flippant about these things but I won't be trying my luck with my car.

Most limiters are completely arbitrary of course, such as the german car 155mph limit or the superbike 186mph limit. I think the Roadster's is a rare example of a limiter for a good reason. However my favourite was the BMW 750i, limited to 155mph but couldn't actually exceed 150mph! Genius.

Andrew Lang has had the roof off his coupe already so as far as I can tell, for the same money he gets the aero if he wants to use it, the hardtop, softtop and no-top options and 175mph. The only thing he's missing is the premium interior but that can be bought afterwards (or indeed specced on purchase I would think) and it's not expensive (apart from the seats but if you were forced up upgrade after delivery you'd offset this by selling your own). 

Why would you buy a roadster?

Hi Everyone

Thats a real good question. Also my Lotus Dealer says, thats very difficult to find customer for the roadster. i think it takes such a time till some buy the roadster. One important thing is, that you must see the car in real life. The Roadster has a strong present but on the picture it looks like a soft Exige ;)

Personally I wouldn't, but I do see the point why Lotus offer a Roadster as well. Trying to gain more market share and get potential open top buyers to look at something different than some German cars. A soft top with a supercharged V6 might be more tempting than a straight 4 cylinder in the Elise. The lack of a wing and splitter also gives it a less aggressive look. In all it will attract a different category of customers.

So I wish Lotus the best of luck with this model. But I think it needs some serious marketing. That would imply lots of demonstrator cars at the resellers. Not sure if that will happen though.

Plus invest to make it compliant for the US market

(ex) Elise S1 (VIN 357) LHD

Plus invest to make it compliant for the US market

yes thats right

• Like 1

Interesting reading this roadster vs coupe

So the coupe 'can become' open with a few shakes of a spanner and twiddles of the fingers   .........   can anyone explain the process of removal - is it fairly easy like removing 4 simple bolts/clamps etc ?

Would i guess that as the coupe isn't specifically designed for 'easy on easy off' roof removal that the above fixings (bolts/clamps etc) wouldn't stand up to much frequent removal / refitting ( lets say on and off once a week ) ....... i've no idea so asking and i've had no opportunity to look at the car either at this point 

Would it involve say the same level of difficulty as removing the 2-11 battery shield and battery fixing .... i had this during the cold times when leaving the 2-11 outside the house and refusing to start before the sun came up .... it was a pain and eventually just left the battery exposed but it was garaged mostly all the time ....... however it wasn't mechanical and more similar, i guess, to 'un-bolting the roof'

Anyone?

I had a hard top on my Elise and the one on the Exige is definitely harder to remove requiring special tools and has extra fixing points.

Personally I'm not going to bother removing mine despite removing the roof on my Elise at every available opportunity.

For no good reason whatsoever I believe the Exige was meant to have a hard top. Equally, I reckon the Exige Roadster will look at its absolute best with a hard top on!

Thanks for comment Pits.

So basically its a pain to remove ......... noting comments through this thread and another thread on 'reason for roof on the coupe and limits applied to speed etc etc for stability' 

Personally i want to get another Lotus just i only like open cars ......... i've had enough elise's and i've moved on from them

Evora would have been ideal but the open version never came .....

So when reading these threads i thought a good option to consider and especially as a Exige in red was recently offered  -  but its a few hours drive away and originally wasn't on my shopping list

Enjoy your ride !

It's not difficult for a dealer to do but they've made it a bit harder for the customer to do (you need a special tool). As you can see quite a few Exige owners have done it already.

So really it's a simple decision, do you like wings or not? If not get the V6 Roadster and take the soft top off whenever you like in seconds. If you have to have the wings but want to take the roof off get the soft top conversion done but avoid going for v-max unless you have the hard top in place.

You can buy a hard top for the roadster. I'd have thought that would be easy to fit?

Evora NA

Yeah but you don't get a wing which is essential in my opinion! Wings rule!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)