free hit
counters
S1 Oil Pressure - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

How far does your needle go over on your oil pressure gauge on a cold start?

I have just took a gamble and replaced my oil pressure sender and I'm just wondering how far the needle should come across.

Edited by Roger Moore

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On mine, I get a full pressure reading on a cold start. Then when the engine is up to temp it will drop to just under 1/2 at idle. Driving it will be about 8/10. Gav Side note...it is usual for the

On mine, I get a full pressure reading on a cold start. Then when the engine is up to temp it will drop to just under 1/2 at idle. Driving it will be about 8/10.

Gav

Side note...it is usual for there to be a delay of up to seven seconds before the oil pressure needle registers. Mine takes about two seconds. So don't be alarmed if you expected a pressure reading right away and aren't getting one.

• Like 1

I have about the same reading as you have 8/10 when cold. When the engine is hot on a hot day (over 90 F), it will drop to 1/2 when driving and close to red mark when it is idle.  Tom

• 2 weeks later...

does anybody know where i can get an oil pressure sender for an S1. I am using one from another type of car and it is showing me a very low reading. I have tried bypassing the system with a mechanical gauge, and the reading is normal.

Cos

• 2 weeks later...

I recently replaced the oil and filter on my S1. I haven't actually driven the beast yet but I've noticed that on start up my oil pressure gauge goes up to about 1/2 and higher. But as it warms up, and the temperature gets to about the 1/2 mark then continues to rise to bout 2/3 and then the pressure drops below the red mark. Reving the engine brings it up but not more that just above the red. I suspect the car may be overheating as I had it idling in the drive way and noticed that I had boiled out some coolant. I've topped it up since but I suspect that the car just really wants to be out on the open road. I've checked the cooling fans and they come on, the front radiator is hot and not clogged and the heater box inside it warm. So I suspect I may simply be seeing the general overheating problems related to the S1.

Brian