free hit
counters
v8 tyre choices - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

You can get all four matching tyres, front and back in the factory sizes of 235/40 17" on the front and 285/35 18" on the rear.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's.

Black Circles do them, either fitted onsite or just delivered. The only problem with them is that they will refuse to sell you the rears as they are "Mercedes fitment" and they don't know what they are talking about, as it only means that they are Mercedes OEM quality, not that you can't put them on any other make or model of vehicle.

So ring up your favourite local tyre supplier, they should be able to source and fit them fine.

It's a matching set, honest!

Vanya and I both have them!

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should be wearing them out lad - you ain't having fun or driving it right if you don't. i never ever want my tyres to last 30k.  And before you say - I reckon my tyres will last ages whi

In fairness, that is 12 years ago which is quite a long time! I was in my twenties when they stopped building them and am in my forties now! 

I ended up speaking to Warren at Save on Tyres in Swindon. Goodyear Asymmetric 2 are not available for the front, but Asymmetric (?1) are. Goodyear Asymmetric anythings were not available anywhere els

Posted Images

Sorry, failed! Fronts are not asymmetric 2, they are just asymmetric. Tried several times. Don't know if there will be a difference between plain asymmetric and asymmetric 2? Still considering Yokohamas which would mean 1cm wider front and rear. Does anyone think that this would be a problem. In the good old days, the factory would help on this but the Esprit knowledge base has dwindles somewhat. Too many managers and not enough engineers!

Sorry, failed! Fronts are not asymmetric 2, they are just asymmetric. Tried several times. Don't know if there will be a difference between plain asymmetric and asymmetric 2? Still considering Yokohamas which would mean 1cm wider front and rear. Does anyone think that this would be a problem. In the good old days, the factory would help on this but the Esprit knowledge base has dwindles somewhat. Too many managers and not enough engineers!

Aargh!

Look! I have this matching set of tyres that I bought in the last couple of months. They are definitely available. They are listed as current on the UK Goodyear website. Vanya has them too.

Try some different suppliers or if all else fails I will have a word with Save On Tyres in Swindon and they can source a set for you, ship them to you and you can fit them locally..!!!!

post-18669-0-74064600-1437082149.jpg

Yeah I've also got these. Tyre listings can be tricky - I few months back I swear I was in the same conundrum but then lo and behold Assymetric 2 appeared for both front and back. Same thing happened with Kumho KU31s for my Turbo SE - they were out of production then BAM back in...

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm going through this conundrum with my GT3 as it has Nova's.  Im going to try Event tyres as Ive used them for years and if you ring up they will usually bend over backwards to help.  Conti Sport 3's are available as matching sets but I have those currently and they are a bit on the hard side.  Just a word or warning if you go wider on the front, you risk rubbing on the inside of the wheel arch.  I will let you know how I get on with Event.

6 hours ago, ajheath said:

I'm going through this conundrum with my GT3 as it has Nova's.  Im going to try Event tyres as Ive used them for years and if you ring up they will usually bend over backwards to help.  Conti Sport 3's are available as matching sets but I have those currently and they are a bit on the hard side.  Just a word or warning if you go wider on the front, you risk rubbing on the inside of the wheel arch.  I will let you know how I get on with Event.

No Goodyears available then Adrian?!?!?!?

I'm loving them. I haven't spun off any roundabouts so far with them B-)

I am just getting new tyres fitted to the Sport 350 and selected the Continental Sport Contact 3's. The chap at the tyre place actually said they were known for being soft. I saw them today and thought they looked good on the tread pattern but probably won't get to use it to find out for a couple of months.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Had a good long chat with Event yesterday, and currently all they can offer me are Continentals as a matching set.  I did ask about Asymmetric 2's but they are not currently available for the fronts.  This is not good for a car that only went out of production in 2004.  Disappointed as I really wanted to try something else, it's not my Continentals are worn, they sitll have a good amount of tread on them, but they have been on the car for nearly 8 years, and dont feel that great.  Hunt goes on, I'll keep you posted

When I'm choosing high performance tyres, I tend to look at the tread wear figure. It's a comparison figure, and can indicate how soft it is. The original Goodyear NCT 2's I used on my Scimitars gripped like nothing else, but didn't last too long. They had a tread wear figure of 180. The next set I fitted were NCT3's, with a higher tread wear figure, and they were rubbish by comparison, but lasted much longer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadwear_rating

Margate Exotics.

Ive been on to most major tyre manufactures websites and it's a bit worrying.  In most cases I searched for the car to get a matching set.  Here is what I found

Goodyear, They seem to say Asymmetric 2 are available in matching sets,

Continental, Conti Sport 3

Michelin, do not currently offer a matching set

Pirelli, do not currently offer a matching set

Dunlop, do not currently offer a matching set

Hankook, do not currently offer a matching set

Bridgestone, no tyres available in either size

Toyo, T1 Sport available as a matching set, you can even go 295 on the rear if you like

Falcon, Azensis FK453 available as a matching set. (we have these on our BMW Z4, and perform well

Edited by ajheath
1 hour ago, ajheath said:

Ive been on to most major tyre manufactures websites and it's a bit worrying.  In most cases I searched for the car to get a matching set.  Here is what I found

Goodyear, They seem to say Asymmetric 2 are available in matching sets,

Hello Adrian

Right, I have spoken with my local supplier and they can get a set of Goodyears in the right sizes for you. The fronts will be Assymetrics and the rears Assymentric 2's but there's almost no difference, particularly in the tread pattern. He can get them in from his European wholesaler and will take 3-4 days.

The good news is that I paid £580 fitted last March, he can do them for £500 fitted now.

So it's up to you, if you fancy a trip down to sunny Swindon they do a really good job and take care with hiding balance weights etc, otherwise I guess he could courier them to you for local fitment.

http://www.saveontyresltd.co.uk/

01793 420 100

Actually thinking about it, see if Event can source Assymetrics for the front instead of Assymetric 2s? Did they offer those?

Anyway, hope that helps.

Cheers

Alan

4 hours ago, ajheath said:

This is not good for a car that only went out of production in 2004

In fairness, that is 12 years ago which is quite a long time! I was in my twenties when they stopped building them and am in my forties now! 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

3 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Why haven't we got an "Unlike" button Bibs?

My Esprit will turn 20 this year. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

:thumbdown:

1 hour ago, swindon_alan said:

Why haven't we got an "Unlike" button Bibs?

My Esprit will turn 20 this year. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

:thumbdown:

So will mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Hello Adrian

Right, I have spoken with my local supplier and they can get a set of Goodyears in the right sizes for you. The fronts will be Assymetrics and the rears Assymentric 2's but there's almost no difference, particularly in the tread pattern. He can get them in from his European wholesaler and will take 3-4 days.

The good news is that I paid £580 fitted last March, he can do them for £500 fitted now.

So it's up to you, if you fancy a trip down to sunny Swindon they do a really good job and take care with hiding balance weights etc, otherwise I guess he could courier them to you for local fitment.

http://www.saveontyresltd.co.uk/

01793 420 100

Actually thinking about it, see if Event can source Assymetrics for the front instead of Assymetric 2s? Did they offer those?

Anyway, hope that helps.

Cheers

Alan

Cheers Alan, Ill see if event can do aysmmetrics for the front and at what price, if not I might get in touch with your man, wont be till Feb though as the car is currently off the road having some tarting up done, ready for being on display at the NEC Restoration show in March.

• 2 months later...

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 13:45, ajheath said:

I ended up speaking to Warren at Save on Tyres in Swindon. Goodyear Asymmetric 2 are not available for the front, but Asymmetric (?1) are. Goodyear Asymmetric anythings were not available anywhere else. They look almost the same so I bought six (4 front and 2 rear). I cannot speak highly enough of the service, price and efficiency experienced with this company. I suggest you all ring Save on Tyres and ask for Warren and buy your tyres off him!

By the way, I tried to attach the ajheath post as it included the details of Save on Tyres but after 6 goes at fighting with the editing features, I decided life was too short!

Edited by toyroom
computer intransigence
  • Like 1

Tyres are such fickle things. I just had a look at my sources, and where I got my matching Assymetric 2's all around last year and they've disappeared! 

Last year I went through hell trying to get original spec rears for my Turbo SE - they were out of production but magically re-appeared a day after I'd decided to give up. Kumho had gone and done a run....

Maybe the same thing will happen with the other tyre dimensions. It pays to keep an eye out. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I'm keeping an eye on this thread because the S4s has exactly the same tyre sizes as the V8.

I do wonder if tyre manufacturers produce batches of 'obsolete' tyres from time to time, but I'm not really sure. I did see that Toyo produce tyres in 235/40 x 17 fronts, but the closest rear I found was a 295/35 x 18, although that is probably acceptable, 1.07% difference, according to the online calculator. I've never tried Toyo, though I have used Michelin Pilot Sport which I thought were excellent, but not cheap. They're on my Esprit now, but the rears are getting down a bit.

I also like to look at the treadwear figure on tyres, but you try finding anything online, it's like they don't want you to know.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

You should be wearing them out lad - you ain't having fun or driving it right if you don't.

i never ever want my tyres to last 30k. 

And before you say - I reckon my tyres will last ages whilst I'm pushing the shell of my car around B-)

• Like 2

Only here once

If you dont fancy a run down to Swindon, Asda, yes you read that right Asda can get Asymetrics in a couple of days and fitted at a local fitter, full set all inclusive £515.60.  I think this is actually Black Circles, but using the Asda name, thing is it's cheaper than Black Circles.  Im getting mine done next week finally.

10 minutes ago, ajheath said:

If you dont fancy a run down to Swindon, Asda, yes you read that right Asda can get Asymetrics in a couple of days and fitted at a local fitter, full set all inclusive £515.60.  I think this is actually Black Circles, but using the Asda name, thing is it's cheaper than Black Circles.  Im getting mine done next week finally.

Was that Asymmetric 2s all round Adrian, or just the rears?

9 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

You should be wearing them out lad - you ain't having fun or driving it right if you don't.

i never ever want my tyres to last 30k. 

And before you say - I reckon my tyres will last ages whilst I'm pushing the shell of my car around B-)

That should stop them perishing.

Margate Exotics.