free hit
counters
where to buy Gearshift Improvement Kit - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

where to buy Gearshift Improvement Kit

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get it from SJ Sportscars - same kit as far as I know, with the rubber boots and all. Have it fitted to my car.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

OK, order placed - or at least SJ's version (place order, they then a few days later reply or call)...

This is more preventative measure thing for me so no rush anyway

I replaced my entire linkage recently - front and back. The front end was in perfect condition, so that whole odyssey was mostly just a learning exercise (removing interior, shift cables etc etc).

In the rear it will however make a big difference - but for the love of all that is good in the world, please use thread locker on the pinch bolt to the translator cross-shaft - if this works its way loose (which it does) you'll feel like all your work is for nothing.

Anyway, my old rose joints were bits of rust and there was play in them all over the place - replacing with the new SJ ones is a quick job with the boot floor out - even if SJ's solution doesn't show itself to be superior you could easily replace it within a few years - maybe even cheaper if you locate the rose joint parts elsewhere.

In any case to answer your question - there will be a lot less play in the shifter in neutral position, and shifting will feel more precise, although the latter point has more to do with how you set up the system than merely new parts. One single turn on the tie rod can make all the difference. After changing and adjusting there's no longer a risk of mistaking 3rd for 1st, no issues changing gear and no god-awful crunch when engaging reverse!

In short: it's brilliant, but within the reference frame of the Esprit - it won't feel as tight or precise as a regular car with the stick going straight into the box.

Oh and a final tip:

In the manual it states the gear lever should be set at 7,5 degrees backward - this really isn't an important point, and if you wind up with a configuration that works nicely for all gears, don't torture yourself by undoing everything then trying to achieve the same setup with 7,5 degrees at the stick - it usually doesn't work and you end up having to set up from scratch, which is more pain than its worth. so 5 degrees or 10 degrees, doesn't really matter as long as the stick isn't hitting anything (in which case you have a much bigger angle and something else has gone wrong...)

• 4 weeks later...

Just back on the scene after a few years out of it. The ESPRITism kits I did a few years back (referred to earlier on) were supposed to be continued by Mike when I sold ESPRITism to his Lotus Bits empire. I guess he never got around to making them? Sorry to those of you who have sent e-mails to me on my long out of date e-mail address. I have switched this back on again now, so I wont miss any more of the mails.

Anyway, thinking of making up the kits and offering them again. I need to get the rod ends specially made though, so not cheap (but by far the best on the market). Does anyone have a spare translator assy they are happy to sell? Of course all my stock has gone and I don't even have an Esprit at the moment! Could really use a translator to check out the new bits on.

Could really use a translator to check out the new bits on.

There is one in the classifieds adds section.

• 2 months later...

Was there ever a kit to move the Esprit SE translator from the left side of the gearbox to the right (as on the S4)? Or is it a major task (metalwork, drilling of crossmembers, etc)?

Thanks

Ian.

Not to my knowledge - I believe the gearbox housing would have to be remachined as the (crossgate selector?) shaft would have to protrude through the other side. Would've been damned expensive I think.