free hit
counters
Engine Rear Oil Seal. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Can someone please confirm the dimensions of the rear oil seal on the 900 series engine. I have it down as 5" o.d x 4" i.d. x 3/8" width.

Thanks.. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rear seal alignment is not too critical..just don't push it in too far otherwise it can block an oil drain, iirc...also a good idea to fit it to a slightly different depth from the original. That way

• Gold FFM

I removed mine yesterday, still waiting for the new one to arrive. I'll try to remember and measure it tonight.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I have found a bearing / seal company in Johannesburg  that has these seals in "Viton" 5" x 4" x 0.5" at a price of 12 pounds. I have asked them the temperature range of the Viton seal just to check.

I shall order two of them as both the Esprit and the Excel are showing their British heritage of oil under the engine. 

• Gold FFM

Sorry it took a while, but just measured the old seal: 100mm x 127mm x 11mm. I double checked with the end of the cranck and inside of the seal housing, and got 101 inner and 126 outer.

Seems to confirm your idea of 4" x 5".

Edited by Escape

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I have ordered two seals, one for the Esprit and the other for the Excel and they are in VIton as that is a high heat material.

One thing that I am curious about is how to get access to the seal. Is it possible to take off the half shafts and move the gearbox and clutch out of the way to gain access to the rear seal or is it more difficult (typical Lotus) than that?

Rear seal alignment is not too critical..just don't push it in too far otherwise it can block an oil drain, iirc...also a good idea to fit it to a slightly different depth from the original. That way the lip bears on an unworn section of the shaft, keeps the leaks down....

The flywheel has to come off and the oil seal carrier unbolts...

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

What is recommended for the oilseal carrier: just the gasket, gasket with additional sealant or just liquid sealant? I would prefer to use one or the other (like I'm used to doing on Land Rovers), but don't have to much faith in just the gasket...

Thanks,

Filip