free hit
counters
A fuse, a fuse, my Kingdom for a fuse ! - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

A fuse, a fuse, my Kingdom for a fuse !

About a month ago I sought some support for a breakdown situation whilst touring in France

(http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/58092-engine-issues3-weeks-out-of-warranty/)

Well, today, at last, I got the car back. The intervening month was taken up with waiting for a repatriation of the car by the recovery insurance (ARIA, who have been overall, very good) and the fact that the Lotus tech at Hedge End was on holiday when the car did get delivered to them.

After 8 hours of diagnostic time and several calls to Lotus tech support the culprit was found.

Fuse R8, "Engine Solenoids"

Guess who is now carrying a spare 7.5 amp fuse with him everywhere.

Why the fuse blew will remain a mystery, because in attempting to get the car back on the road, the ECU reflash cleared all memory of fault codes caused before and during the malfunction.

Lotus Hedge End have been very generous to me in what they charged for that technician time, and the car was spotlessly clean, inside and out when I collected it earlier.  Thanks Chris and team!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Good to hear ykur problem was, in the end, so trivial. On the other hand it is such a shame today's cars are so complex that even the good mechanics oversee the obvious.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

How about a register, fixed under Evora?  Not for chat or discussion of unknowns but just car details, symptoms and cause discovered of "difficult" faults.  Not for ordinary ones.

E.g m1lum's above:

Evora (NA ?  20??)  Engine running lumpy and almost stalls, then revs itself back up again.  Sometimes it does stall.  Engine light on and sometimes the spanner light too.  Basic code reader tells me that it's 'too rich on both banks'.  At higher revs it's absolutely fine, although it does seem a little heavier on fuel now.  CAUSE: Fuse R8 "Engine Solenoids" blown.

I'll add two.

Evora NA 2010  Engine refuses to start despite spinning easily on starter and dash lights appearing normal: CAUSE: Inertia switch triggered off by light incidental tap by spanner. Press top to reset.

Evora NA 2010  Alarm triggers a few minutes after empty car locked.  CAUSE: Alarm logic assumes locking will occur after sequence: Engine running, engine off, door open, door close, lock.  If, say to retrieve something, car is unlocked, door opened, door closed, relocked, the alarm will trigger.  Cure: if retrieving something, when door open turn ignition on and off before closing door and relocking.

If thought a reasonable idea, perhaps a moderator would reposition, re title this starter?

Edited by mdavies
  • Like 2

Mel, as discussed in the topic, if your alarm does that its broken, get it fixed under warranty.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bibs, that seems an unnecessarily dismissive comment.

May I remind you that when I first posted about that alarm behaviour (at least a year ago), you queried whether it was just a fault on my car.  Whereupon someone in Scotland (Al I think, apologies to you if not) then posted that he knew of it and referred I think to it happening consistently on more than one car.

I made what I thought a worthwhile suggestion; I still think so.

• Like 2

I'm with Mel on this, the alarm does sometimes behave strangely. I have seen the same behaviour as Mel in some occasions. But, only on a few occasions and I 

would not say it is a consistent error. Every time I try to reproduce it I fail.

Edited by TBD

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I spoke to ASO who said its a fault on the alarm. I did post this in the thread, its a known problem.

Its most certainly not a case of 'they all do that' as was suggested then. Thomas, speak to you dealer who will fix this under your warranty.

We can have a 'frequent problems' topic of course but we'll not use it for incorrect information. Start it up and I'll pin it in the Evora chat section.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

My personal view on this is that there should be a topic for "Roadside Diagnostics and Resolutions", something to help when the rare unexpected and unfortunate event occurs.  Either as an aide to the more proficient driver/owner or as a starter for the local garage/recovery truck driver who has never seen an Evora before.  (Been there, done that!)

For the more 'known issues' type stuff, I think we all have enough time to browse through the already well indexed forums.

If I had known then, what I know now, I could have been on my way again in 20 minutes, without any earache from the good lady or a serious dent in my wallet.

• 4 weeks later...

Arrrrrggghhhhh, happened again this afternoon on my way back from Exeter. Just stopped for a coffee, pulled out of car park, around roundabout, accelerated away onto dual carriageway and 'déjà vu'. Spanner light, flashing MIL light, lumpy, coughing, no power.

Pulled into a lay by and contorted myself to see Fuse R8, with its tell tale LED glowing. Easier said than done to change it, but as soon as I did, the car was happy to idle again, and apart from the spanner light staying on momentarily after a restart, it ran home up the A303 as if nothing had happened.

So, R8 "Engine Solenoids". What could that be that has now blown two fuses within a couple of thousand miles?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, diagnostics didn't help solve the mystery of the blown fuse :-(

Car is booked in a week or so's time for some deep investigative work to check solenoid resistances etc.

My guess is some rare combination of all 4 engine solenoids being driven at the same time is blowing it.

In the meantime, I decided to turn the event from being a difficult, frustrating inaccesible 40 minute fuse swap into a two minute breeze.

So, here is the challenge, just behind the passenger side seatbelt mounting is the rear fuse box

image_zps9629ecc1.jpg

If only you could get your head inside the access cover, all would be simple!

image_zps0c691fae.jpg

Anyway, I put in this fuse holder extender, secured by velcro

image_zps7e49099d.jpg

So now, as soon as the cover is off, the fuse is instantly accesible

image_zps5e627f67.jpg

Last job, quick release turnbuckle on the access panel

image_zps36749568.jpg

Why I am doing this on £30K+ car I am not so sure, but I think it is what sets a Lotus owner apart from a Porsche owner, and anyway, what are Bank Holiday mondays for?

Top work! :thumbup:

Evora NA

• 2 years later...