free hit
counters
OIL PICKUP GAUZE FILTER - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
giorgio67

OIL PICKUP GAUZE FILTER

Hi friends,

just a quick advice.

I've ordered a new pick-up gauze filter assembly for the tube in the sump, mine was broken and loose on the tube.

Which is the best and safe way to fix the gauze filter on the tube?

I'm thinking to use some special glue to be sure as I don't want to weld, any tips?

Thanks

Giorgio

post-3419-0-69764900-1374489951.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not sure, Giorgio...but I think that I'd use one of the metal loaded epoxies. "JB Marine Weld" comes to mind....I've used that to repair a watercooled exhaust manifold on a boat engine, and it was fine. Got to be really clean before you glue, of course, but knowing how you work that's not going to be a problem!

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-marineweld/

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks John!

BTW, how it was originally fixed at the factory?

When I dismantled mine I was surprise it was still attached and not in the sump...

I think it was glued on originally; iirc, mine was glued with what looked suspiciously like JB Weld !!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Actually the wire mesh was glued into the flanges on both sides, but the assembly shown above is brazed onto the pickup pipe.

Brazed at the tube  (ignore the bars that are laser welded onto the screen assembly... I did that)

PICT0933.JPG

My oil pickup screen dropped out of the top flange. The epoxy let go.

P4151926.JPG

P5072047.JPG

So I made a new screen and laser welded it together :)

PICT0925.JPG

PICT0926.JPG

PICT0935.JPG

added the bars just for extra security.

• Like 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Thanks Travis great pics.

My question is only about the way the filter assembly is fixed on the tube as for the third pic.

I would try the epoxy glue.

Thanks

Giorgio

I had my gauze lock wired in case the resin/glue failed.

I didn't bother having it reglued as no one could offer anything that would survive being immersed in oil for any length of time.

Does anyone know what the density of the mesh should be? I have to fold a new one out of something like this: https://www.ebay.de/itm/302926010317

Can't wait for SJ to ship one and counting the stitches seems a bit difficult for people over 40 years old. Thanks!

Edited by marode

update: been at an industry filter supplier and got a piece of mesh for some euro in the kitty. The guy there has meassured the old one with a sort of magnifier incl. a meter and came up with "...it´s  0.4". Whatever that means, guess 0.4mm wide of the mesh.