free hit
counters
Possible new powerplant? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Possible new powerplant?

Given the emerging Proton-Honda collaborative partnership, I wonder if the 300 bhp 2.0 turbo engine mentioned in this article ...(http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/290377/honda_civic_typer_2015_price_release_date_specs.html) ... might find its way into the new variants DRB managing director Tan Sri Mohd Khamil Jamil recently talked about ...

'We are coming out with the variants based on existing products - variants with improved technology, improved performance, improved quality as well as improved costing.'

The supercharged Honda Elises always looked good, stellar performance and Honda reliability; an official version with new Honda engines would seem like a great way to refresh the Elise, especially with some kind of cabin/dash upgrade.

It would surely sit well as a replacement engine for the current NA Evora, too, giving an increase in power along with a decrease in weight ...

Complete speculation, I know, but that improved technology and performance is going to have to come from somewhere ...

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Toyota 2ZZ engine, the weak link is the gearbox when abused.

I say turbo the 2ZZ and mate it to the Evora gearbox... Now that would be a great combo. :cheers:

I think it's fast enough…maybe

Frank, I guess you never drove the Evora gearbox. It's the cars weakest link. It handles the torque alright, but was never meant for non-diesel rpm.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I think it would be a good match with the higher reving 2ZZ. It's 6 speed gearing would be nice with the turbo torque. Ya have to remember a good turbo 2ZZ makes more torque than the supercharged V6 and revs to 8,500rpm safely. Just sayin.

There's nothing wrong with the 2ZZ except the fact that it's been discontinued  in '08 and the new 1.8l supercharged of the Elise S is a variant of the  2ZR.

When DB signed the prefered clients agreement with Toyota before backstabbing them with the V8 project, the plan was for the next gen Elise to get the upcoming Toyota 2.0l Turbo a variant of the 3ZR -FAE that should make its way in an entry level IS next year  and get 280 bhp+ The engine should also be featured in a new hot version  Auris/Corolla.

I have nothing against Honda but the Toyota engine haven't been too shabby and Lotus has been working with Aisin to improve the IPS gearbox.  

Guest surferphil

Honda elises were heavily tuned anyway and swapped with the old rover engine with fixed cam timing, the Toyota engine is very good if a little heavy.

What Lotus can do to a 4 cylinder engine is better than Honda or Toyota could on their own.

Lotus are the best in the business for 4 cylinder production engineering.

If that's so I haven't seen anything done by Lotus to the 2ZZ over the last 8 yrs. I guess they are just saving themselves for another manufacturer.

Guest surferphil

Yamaha did the tuning for Toyota on that engine. Who knows what Lotus engineering get up to behind closed doors, manufacturers generally don't like to talk about Lotus involvement unless it benefits their marketing strategy. I can't imagine Lotus not testing the engine and refining a few things given their expertise.

Didn't Lotus supercharge it?

I think Elise development was abandoned to a greater extent by DB when he publicly abandoned every Lotus that was in production at the time and marked the Elise as being replaced by a completely different car in 2015. I suppose that's why not much happened to it in 8 years.

If that's so I haven't seen anything done by Lotus to the 2ZZ over the last 8 yrs. I guess they are just saving themselves for another manufacturer.

What makes you think that Lotus Cars is a good customer for Lotus Engineering. I can imagine they would rather work for any outside customer than inhouse.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Guest surferphil

Most of Lotus engineering is done for other manufacturers and Lotus Cars provides a good platform to showcase their Engineering technology, innovation and capability.

Perhaps Lotus should source their new power plant from you Frank. How much would it cost to tune a 2ZZ to a Roniin2ZZ?

I'd say in the $25K range..If things were jigged up for production. The long block is only about $6,800.00 with proper internals.

Edited by ronin