free hit
counters
No boost, lots of smoke - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evening,

Oh the joy, I've just got home with my S4s; no turbo pressure and lots (lots!) of blue/grey smoke....I'm guessing this is a turbo issue...the engine was rebuilt <10k miles ago and other than smoke and no turbo it drives and sounds fine. 

How do I confirm the above and what are my options?........off to have a manly cry...any help appreciated.

Edited by emlynt

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does sound like the turbo. Check the actuator rod is still attached as they rot and fall off. Then its more than likley turbo removal and rebuild. Will be doing this myself soon. Think the kits are around 30 quid. Plenty of vids on you tube on how to strip and rebuild

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Yeap,

Sounds like the turbo alright. I rebuilt mine on my S4s with a service kit and you'll have to get the turbo balanced. there are some photos on my " garage" page.

Remove the air intake hose from the inlet side of the turbo. Then you'll be able to see the intake impellor. Check for damage and also see if there is any play in the impellor by moving it from side to side and in and out, If there is any play in the shaft then your bearings and seals are worn. this will allow the oil under pressure to escape into the inlet or exhaust side of your turbo.

You could also remove the hose between the chargecooler and inlet manifold and see if there is any traces of oil in the inlet system. 

If your turbo is in good condition and there are no traces of oil I would check the spark plugs for oil, it could be worn valve stems.

If your turbo is in good condition and there are no traces of oil I would check the spark plugs for oil, it could be worn valve stems.

Wouldn't account for loss of boost, it's the turbo.  :thumbdown:

But as has been said, with rebuild kits at around £30 if you have the time & expertise it shouldn't be expensive.  :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Thanks guys, Plusgas applied.  De-Cat pipe fitted a year ago so that side should be easy to get off....then it appears to be 4 studs and 3 pipes....how hard can it be? ;)  Then Im sending to Turbo Technics...£500 for a proper job....don't trust myself :)

Edited by emlynt

I wouldn't pay 500 quid to Turbo Technics.

Its not all that hard to rebuild it yourself. Theres only about 10 parts to the whole turbo. The most improtant thing is when you rebuild it with new seals and bearings is that you get it balanced. Thid will cost around 30 - 50 pounds. If you where able to remove the turbo yourself, you'll hhave no problem in rebilding the turbo. I rebuilt and upgraded mine in a couple of hours. These turbo rebuild companies are rip offs, charging 500 quid.

Cheers

Dave

Hi, I do agree, you can rebuild it yourself. 

But balancing is a bit difficult to do yourself. 

If you don't trust yourself, i think you can better go to Owen developments, 

certainly more knowledgeable than turbo technics. And i think a bit cheaper as well.

Regards

Jaap 

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

I went through a couple turbos ,its worth finding out why the turbo failed,are the 'hot' turbine blades bent or damaged in some way? Mine kept bending causing a fail,they were at the last rebuild trimmed down slightly since then no more problems.If you have severe back firing on the over run when you throttle off this can cause a kind of 'stall' and (as in my case) damage the fan.Much like an aircraft jet engine suffering a surge or stall same thing happens although a tadge more expensive.I have a Larini de-cat pipe fitted as well as silencer .

Simplest things first.

Interested in this topic, I need to upgrade my turbo from a 1990 SE to an S4s, hybrid, 360 bearing etc, can this also be done by a keen DIY er, what is the best video on utube to watch and were would you source the parts, cheers........

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.414532198653369.1073741829.161917863914805&type=1

It's back and TT look to have done a great job, the exhaust side had a hairline crack near one of the studs and TT have replaced that side of the turbo, basically they have turned a heap of rusty scrap metal into a work of art!  Happy....just need to get some SS nuts etc...anyone know sizes?

Got my turbo done by Esprit Engineering after failures too numerous to mention. This was about 50,000 miles ago and a lot of hard driving (on track)

The issue was flexing of the shaft causing the vane(s) to come in contact with the inside of the housing.

The fix was 'clipping' the vanes to provide clearance.

It worked, no issues for considerable time.

Indeed as i was sat in your passenger seat at the time when yours let go.  .................mine too has behaved impeccably since TT trimmed it down a tadge ! Not something to be performed using a file ..............

Edited by fflyingdog
  • Like 1

Simplest things first.

Nice. :thumbsup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.