free hit
counters
Remove turbo - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Quick search of the interweb brings up zip. 

Manual states 4 hours to replace.  Average time for us numpties is 10-12 hours (taken from LEW).

But I found this thread with your name on it.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/24596-turbo-removal-s4s-engine-in-situ/?hl=%2Bturbo+%2Breplacement#entry241073

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

3 out of the 4 studs sheared on ours, even after a soaking of penetrating oil for a week. Once they were all out I replaced them with stainless.

As above, not easy, but I'd settle for 4 broken studs, I broke 1 on the side clamp. So drill out all the studs if you have to, then use high tensile allen bolts, you'll see why when you come to put it back together. Next get a set of short ball head allen key sockets.

Don't try getting the down pipe off that's worse.

Good luck, have a stiff drink.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Well unbolting the turbo from the manifold will be the easy bit about 15 mins as i had already replaced the studs with bolts when i fitted the stainless manifold. The exhaust nuts will also be easy as i replaced those. Its the other pipes that connect to the turbo Im a little unsure of.I know the actuator comes off but again thats only a few mins. The replacing of the bearings and oil seals looks fairly straight forward. I may take pics if it will help anyone else

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Dont bother replacing seals and bearings yourself..send it to turbo technics and get it all done right..the other pipes are easy enough..just probably a little tight from age and heat..Two oil pipes and two coolant..

Havent done the job yet but replacing bearing and seals needs to be done soon. I have previously been told that if you mark everything up when dismantling its not a very difficult job and you dont upset the balance to any serious extent. The kit only costs about £40 odd pounds. Conversely I have been informed that sending the turbo to the company you mention or any other competitor invariably results in a bill of about £500 despite advertised rates of around £250. I am coming to the conclusion that its a bit of a con and unless you dont feel confident yourself I would have a go yourself.   

Well the turbo will need to be balanced perfectly and im afraid you just cant do that or expect it to remain in balance yourself..the bill will increase because at the end of the day there will be wear on other components too and the result is a full and proper rebuild is the best way to ensure it performs perfectly and that way they can uphold a full warranty. 500 quid is the going rate for a full rebuild and in the scheme of things is not a lot considering the car your driving. Penny pinching on an important item is why so many esprits have issues or a bad rep..

Edited by dodge1979
  • Like 1

It's not only the bearing that wears, the shaft also wears and these cheap kits do not rectify that. When you get a turbocharger professionally refurbished they either replace the shaft or machine it and fit oversize bearings. Either way the assembly needs balancing.

For GBP 500,-  I guess, this should also get you a full core replacement. (CHRA)

Always better than rebuild, as they normally get you a off factory fully balanced new core. 

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

I rebuilt my turbo with no issues at all on my S4s. While I was rebuilding it I upgraded it to a T4 on the induction side.

I replaced the bearing and seals with genuine Garrett parts, this included 360' bearing, T4 housing, T4 compressor wheel, T4 back plate, new forge waste gate.  There was no wear on the shaft or on the exhaust turbine wheel.

I got the whole unit balanced for 50 quid.

All in for a S300 spec T3/T4 turbo, I paid out around 300 quid which included the actuator for 100.

There are some photos in my profile.

If you can remove the turbo yourself, you can rebuild your turbo.

cheers

Dave

Try this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T3-T34-T35-T38-Turbo-360-hybrid-repair-rebuild-kit-rs-/320612099999?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa5f8679f#ht_3415wt_1069

This is where I bought all my parts from. A full rebuild ki for £62? Have a good look at all the other upgrade parts he has for your T3 turbo. A new T3 bearing housing is only £50.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave. I am going to try it myself. Having looked at a lot of articles it seem imperative to mark everything up and then reassemble the same way. 

You may watch you-tube before embarking on this task. There are many excellent "how-to" videos.

Edited by MrDangerUS