free hit
counters
Number of sick days per year vs job - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Number of sick days per year vs job

slewthy

This article appeared today

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/95-sick-days--the-yearly-average-for-nhs-workers-5-more-than-for-the-average-worker-8728772.html

Says that there is an average 9.5 sick days per year in the nhs. But just 2.8 for docs and as much as 14.7 for ambulance workers.

In general, the average is highest for the lowest paid workers.

Personally, as a medic, taking essentially no sick leave at all, it amounts to whether or not you CAN take sick leave. I'm no healthier than anyone else so I get sick too but I know that if I am not at work, the work will not go away -  no one else will do it, just more for me when I get back. So I continue. And in my line of work, that may not be a good thing!

What do others think? Same in other industries?

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of it is morale related, if you're really not happy with the role and you're unwell you're probably less likely to go into work than if you were physically the same but happy with the role. Having paid time off also makes a difference but I'd have thought the largest single factor is whether you can work given a medical reason. If you need to by physically active (ambulance workers) I'd have thought you're less able to do a role than one where you can be seated (and not driving) and can take a break of a few mins if you take a turn for the worse (Doctors).

I'm lucky, when I've been rough I've been able to work from home, take a break while migraine drugs kick in, then just work once I'm back to a suitable state.

Some people in some jobs take a day each month as they believe they are somehow entitled to it.

Personally I've not had a single sick day, ever :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The entitlement thing is probably a real factor.

Also, I suspect that - "well if they can have a week off with the flu, so can I " - must occur very frequently.

I recall when I was a lowly houseman in a very busy surgical firm - the old style by the way - my counterpart went off sick with chicken pox, just at the moment I was starting to feel really lousy. But, spots beat feeling low hands down, so, off he went for a week or two.

When he returned, however, his broad grin melted away when I showed him my emerging spots and I had to disappear too.

Those 2 weeks of feeling really sick but having to do the work of two will never leave me - I was a one man band. I hope I will never feel as ill as that again and so probably have a strong resilience against taking time off for trivial things. 

When you think though - my poor patients! I really didn't know at the time why I felt so poorly!!

I think the number of kids makes a bigger difference then the job. The people in my office with children at school take a lot more sick days then I do.

One thing that's helped in our office is that we can now work from home if we're sick, but feel ok to work. We do software development so it's pretty easy to do so. This prevents others from catching cold, and keeps work going. Having multiple people sick in our office would be quite a hit since there's only 7 of us.

Of course there's a lot of jobs that people just hate and will take sick days just to not go in.

'86 Lotus Esprit Turbo

I had 20 days off last year for my operation, but that is the only time off in 5 years in my job. I think I had half a day last year, apart from the recovery time (which was meant to be 6 weeks).

that is the peril of working from home I suppose. My boss says "You might as well sit at your desk as lay on the sofa".

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I've not had a day off sick in over 10 years. I work from home which helps, as you can still function even if you look terrible. I also suffer from the fact that if I don't do the work, no one else will, so it would be waiting for me when I return (as it does when taking holidays). I don't believe that anyone has a right to sick leave but agree that occasionally some people may think that.

I guess I may be in a minority but I believe that you should work if you can.

Luckily I don't seem to get sick very often  (crossed fingers)

:)

It's getting there......

In 28 years I have taken around 20 days in total.

When I was a nurse manger in the NHS some nurses even asked how many sick days they were entitled to per year. Some departments had huge sickness levels, mine was the lowest in the hospital I hope because of the way I treated my staff.

When I moved to be manger at a private hospital we had staff who took the maximum number of paid days per year every year (which was two weeks) across multiple days off. I changed the system so they didn't get paid for the first three days of sickness but got full pay for a much longer period. I did this as it seemed most people could cope with losing a day or two of pay but would rather have the security of a longer period paid if they had to have surgery etc.

None. Ever. Touch wood.

Interestingly and extremely sadly, my friend and colleague went home sick yesterday. On his way to the Doctors he was involved in an RTA with an HGV. He succumbed to his injuries at the scene :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-23421524

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I could never work out my father's attitude to sick leave. He worked for the Min Ag Fish in London and he made sure that he used up all his sick leave days every year which I think added up to 2 weeks.

In all my years in commerce I cannot remember taking a days leave, even when I had a bad accident and lost a finger, I was back at work straight from the emergency room at the hospital.

Different strokes for different folks.

Um, I think if I lost a limb/digit/any appendage for that matter, I might not go back to work that day.

Surely, that deserves feet up and a beer? Reminiscing about happy times with the said body part...

It also depends on whether you have to clock in or not.  If you are on staff and can come in late or leave a bit early if you feel rough, you will probably go into work for much of the day, even when you feel bad.  If you lose a half-day when you clock in 20 minutes late,you may as well take the time off sick when you are unwell.

Out terms and conditions include so many sick days which my boss can't get his head around.  He seems to think it's like holiday.  Not that he takes it.  He just can't understand why it's specified like it is.  Same with personal days which are paid days off to deal with personal things like the cable guy coming out or getting your car fixed.  Why not just add them on to you vacation days?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

The thing with "personal days" is that if they just added them as vacation, people would just book them out at the start of the year and then still expect to take days off for it, in addition to the increased vacation.

Back in 1964 when Moley was an apprentice telephone technician with Post Office Telephones, as it was then, we were all Civil Servants. As such, we had all sorts of arcane conditions...amongst which were the Whiteley Council. This august body had decided that Civil Servants were allowed 14 days uncertificated sick leave in any period of twelve months..and the chaps kept a very accurate record of these! You would often hear someone say "I haven't had a Whiteley for a while and it looks like it's going to be a nice day tomorrow....I think I'll go sick!" This is the same mindset as  Roger's dad...and still applied when I joined the Immigration Service in 1993. Effectively, two weeks more holiday a year!

It's no wonder, really...one day as an apprentice I had woken up a long way from home and work and managed to get in to Richmond Telephone Exchange by lunchtime. So much fuss followed on my effort to get in to work that it was obvious that taking a day sick was the preferred solution all round!!

Bit different when running a company...only reason for not working would have involved a six foot deep hole and some mahogany boarding....  

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

We are still guided/governed/ by the Whitely Council conditions even now!

These guide house removal expenses amongst other things. totally voluntary on the part of the trust though.

When I am ill, I do have to make a judgement as to whether I could harm patients by going in. Usually not but it can be difficult since there is a degree of machismo in going in the more ill you are. So its almost the complete reverse of what we have been discussing. ie going to work when sick when really you should stay at home.

I was once scrubbed for a heart bypass and valve replacement, the surgeon was obviously very ill when we started and said he was only doing it as the patient had already been cancelled four times. Halfway through the operation the surgeon fainted. We had to get one of the juniors to finish (he was about to commence as consultant several weeks later).

I have seen several drs and surgeons work when ill and on occasion it has led some to make decisions I know they wouldn't have done if they'd have been fit and well.

Hey Simon. Just a quick comment on losing the finger.When I got back to work and explained to the staff that I had lost a finger, one of the guys in the workshop asked, "the whole finger?". I was very quick to retort, "no, the one next to it". Needless to say, I got quite a lot of respect from the staff after that.