free hit
counters
Greetings from Thailand! - Introductions - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tim_thailand

Greetings from Thailand!

Hi there all, I'm Tim and I'm originally from England but have lived in Thailand for the past 3 years.

Wasn't sure where to put this post because it's kind of an introduction and question all in one!

OK, so on with the story!

I currently own two Subaru's but I've started looking around at some used cars here and came across a nice Lotus, I went to view it today......there are a few things that are not right.

I'm posting this because I'm not too familiar with Lotus cars, Subaru on the other hand I know all about. Hoping that some of the forums wiser members can give me a little guidance!

So, the car is listed for sale on a popular site called one2car, this is real similar to the Autotrader. It's listed as a Lotus Exige 2008, the price is around 2.5 million baht (50k GBP) - this is normal as all imported cars fetch a real premium here. The price for a used Exige ranges from 2.3 - 3.5 million.

So when I checked the car it looked OK, someone has used a vinyl wrap which isn't the best in the world but it's OK. Interior was very nice and clean as was the engine bay. I checked the VIN number on a VIN identification website and it is an Elise NOT an Exige! This made me very confused indeed. 

Now this is quite a popular thing here in Thailand, people will import a lower spec model and use spare parts to upgrade it to the higher spec model. It's to avoid paying higher import duty.

Here's the link to the car in question, please have a look and if there's anything not right please let me know! http://www.one2car.com/LOTUS_EXIGE/F20130180

Thanks in advance!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome to TLF Tim. 

If that's an Elise upgraded to an Exige they've done a very thorough job, looks nice! :)

If you PM me the VIN, I'll check with Lotus for you if you like :)

If you PM me the VIN, I'll check with Lotus for you if you like :)

Awesome!

PM'd

Edited by tim_thailand

Is there anything in particular I should check when looking at the car/test driving it?

What parts are likely to wear and is there any way of checking for accident damage? I did try and check but it's almost impossible to see anything compared to my Subaru's!

My Exige was Ultra reliable mate. They tend to be very well put together. Some things to look out for though:

1. Check under the front for damage to the crumple zone. It is easy to hide with new body panels as they can fit straight over this area (I speak from experience).

2. The intercooler on the back looks ok. Sometimes the engine mounts can wear very slightly which means it can rub on the boot keepy uppy thingy (yeah I am not into technical stuff).

3. Tyre wear is pretty extreme, check your rears. (They aren't too expensive, over here, to replace)....just checked the pics, they look almost new (as new as a semi slick can look).

4. Stereo speakers. The car can be loud at speed (especially if it has the (barely) legal sports exhaust. My speakers failed as they had been used so loud for so long.

5. Battery wear. I left mine for 3 months and the battery went flat. There's a charging point under one of the front bonnet panels. Make sure you get a trickle charger (as you can't get in to openthe boot to recharge it if it goes flat.

That's about it really, except to say it is a frickin awesome bit of kit, awesomely fast and a real head turner!

Oh and welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing about your adventures.

My Sister in Law lives out there as well.

Hi Tim welcome to the forum! Looks like you got plenty of good advice so far. Hope to see more posts and pictures from your car around Thailand when you got it!

Buddsy  :thumbsup:

Lovely car, although you probably need to bribe the guys at the toll booth to keep the streets clear for you for a few minutes :)

Welcome to TLF Tim. :welcome:

Looks like a nice car. Even got the steering wheel in the right place. :thumbup:

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

Hi Tim,

Another forum member, Rex, is also somewhere in Thailand, don't know where but here's a link to the engine bay pictures of his Elite with a supercharged BMW engine.  :thumbsup: