free hit
counters
What Fuel do people run? - Page 3 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

What Fuel do people run?

jimmy p

• Gold FFM

The wells are often connected - it is not one discrete supply pipe from each well to the refinery or the storage depot. You can get oil from different companies using the same pipelines. They use systems called Hydrocarbon Accounting Systems that look at what crude was being shipped from where and they have net-metering or sub-metering to track the movement of the oil etc.

They measure the quality of the crude and also things like moisture and sand content as the higher content has a greater degree of wear on the pipes etc.

They charge for the movement of the oil in this way and it is usually from one fixed point of extraction to a storage facility or a refinery. Each company does not necessarily have their own "owned" pipes, and indeed, many of the producing oil fields are shared ownership between oil companies and so are the production and transport facilities.

Think about it - surely it is the same with gas where it is injected into the main UK pipeline system for bulk transportation - isn't that run by Transco / National Grid? They also look at the calorific value of the gas and this is included in the calculation for bills etc.

The main point though is that it is not this:

oil reserve ==> well ==> dedicated pipe ==>storage unit ==> refinery ==> tanker ==> forecourt 

all controlled by one company, e.g. BP, Shell or whatever from end to end. They use part their own facilities, part shared, they lease pipe and storage capacities and pay the refineries etc.

As I said, don;t work in the industry so happy to be put right - in fact, I'm now really quite interested to know the truth, in a geeky sort of way.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

mmmmm.....

gas is the other way round.....

the companies have their own field with the wells/platforms.....

each field has its own direct line back to that companies refinery....

once refined its piped into the grid where its measured......

so no sharing.....

I too would be interested to find out about the UKs petroleum......

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

top spot thanks...... :unworthy:

its a long way to come to fill the +2 tho'......

Im thinking I'll take some home for the weekend instead......

lol

I use Shell V-Power Nitro+ in my Evora S (and previously in my supercharged Elise and turbocharged M100 Elan).

There was a similar discussion a couple of years ago: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/59207-what-fuel-do-people-run

It may have changed in the last two years but back then there was a difference between how V-Power was made (and Tesco Green) compared to other branded and supermarket fuels. V-Power comes direct from one refinery (Essar Stanlow) to all UK Shell fuel stations so in theory the bkend should be more consistent.

There is another more recent discussion than that one, that ran to a few pages more recently.  About the turn of the year if I was guessing?  

I know I posted in it and even searching all my posts as well as other key words I can't find the damn thing.   :censored: It was a very similar thread to this and a number of well placed people to comment on the facts and technicalities of it posted some really interesting posts.  If anybody else has the time to look it would be worth linking as we are just duplicating the same stuff here.  :unworthy:

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

I looked too and couldn't find anything.....hence starting this one.....

I'll have another rummage.....

:huh:

Bibs (I believe) has stated that you should always use 98 (or higher) Ron in supercharged cars. The manual for my 2013 Elise S says 95 or even 93 is ok if unavoidable. Comments please..

Sorry if this has been covered before, couldn't be bothered to read through whole thread.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I was replying to the post before for those looking for the other thread about this. Read the thread if you've 2.5 minutes spare, your answer has already been posted but if you're really that busy/lazy, yes use Super as I already said. Your car will be a tiny bit faster and get more MPG (although this is mainly offset by the price). 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I was replying to the post before for those looking for the other thread about this. Read the thread if you've 2.5 minutes spare, your answer has already been posted but if you're really that busy/lazy, yes use Super as I already said. Your car will be a tiny bit faster and perhaps get more MPG (although this is mainly offset by the price).

Yes Bibs, I know that, but I think you have missed my point. I was asking about the reference to fuel in the manual. Why do Lotus say 95? That was my question. You would like to think that Lotus are aware of your findings..

I think the verdict is that premium petrol should be used........not super.......

however you can run on ordinary......

seems to be that the premium fuel at about 97RON is a choice........as the car will, if required, run on 95 or even 93.....

I think most fuels stations have the std fuel at 95RON anyway........

I plan on sticking with the Shell Vpower Nitro+

or BP...as they are currently the only supplier without ethanol in their fuel........

Am I having a stroke right now, or is this link circular?

Someone merged the topics.

Evora NA

Someone merged the topics.

sorry....twaz me......

but before the link appeared.....

:huh:  :mail:  :unworthy: 

I think the verdict is that premium petrol should be used........not super.......

however you can run on ordinary......

seems to be that the premium fuel at about 97RON is a choice........as the car will, if required, run on 95 or even 93.....

I think most fuels stations have the std fuel at 95RON anyway........

I plan on sticking with the Shell Vpower Nitro+

or BP...as they are currently the only supplier without ethanol in their fuel........

So, it would appear that no-one here can answer my question then? I'll go away now then.

So, it would appear that no-one here can answer my question then? I'll go away now then.

I think that what we seem to have discovered is that there is no definitive answer.....

the car will run on 95.......it says so in your book.........

so if you wish run it on 95.......

the car will also run on 97,98,99, 102.........

people choose to put this in due to the possible 'improvement' in performance

I choose to put the Shell 97 stuff in because its lower in ethanol...and helps keep the engine cleaner.....therefore more efficient

under the flap on the Evora it says put in Premium fuel........I term that to be the next up from the std......

std fuels seems to be 95....therefore I put in 97.........

I don't think Ive ever seem 93 RON..........

when I turn up to the filling stn I see two types of fuel......standard and premium regardless of RON value...

so I put in premium.........(which in this instance happens to be 97RON)

this answer is probably no clearer.......to that end I would leave it to your discretion.....run the car on 95 and see if you notice anything.......if not....stick with 95......

They'll get a different manual, there are about 15 different editions for different territories.

Evora NA

I wondered if it was a carry over from printing.....but doesn't sound like it.......

I guess its a process of testing them out to find a couple of fuels youre happy with then......

I wouldn't put 93 in tho' (even if I knew where there was some in the UK)

They'll get a different manual, there are about 15 different editions for different territories.

Mine is a UK car/manual. "Use 95, can use 93". Repeat, no mention of "better on 97 or above". You'd think they would have found out by now, wouldn't you, with all their research & development and all.

I've just spoken to a Field Service Engineer from Lotus with decades of experience for you. You can put any RON in that's available in this country, the higher the better it will run. Kinda what this thread has said all along :)

• Like 1

Evora NA

I think it's probably worth saying just how lucky we are having smart ECUs with knock sensors and closed loop idle/cruise behaviour that handle whatever's in the tank.

My poor boosted Celica with aftermarket ECU is very picky and just not safe on regular unleaded. It has also drifted out of tune as the airflow sensor has aged.

As it happens my Evora S usually drinks Tesco 99 - simply because my local Shell station seems a bit dodgy!