free hit
counters
Yet another Cambelt question - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
OnAir

Yet another Cambelt question

I can't be the first to have asked this, but I haven't had any luck finding an answer.

According to the Lotus service bulletin on the LEW's V8 Cambelt tensioning page, the belt is to be renewed at 72,000 miles (120,000 km) on V8 Esprits "in markets OUTSIDE the USA".

So...  (1) At what mileage is it to be renewed INSIDE the USA market?

(2) Why a different spec for the USA?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

1) 100,000 miles

2) Because US Federal law required manufacturers to have belts that lasted 100,000. Lotus had a choice, they could re-design the whole belts system and apply that to all markets, or, just increase the belt life interval and accept a few warranty claims for destroyed engines because belts failed before 100,000 in the USA. Financial sense means the latter was the option they took (cost of claims is much lower than cost to re-design).

If you're out of warranty, you're sensible to go with the shorter interval.

Thanks Andy. I had been curious as to why the difference in specs. I thought that perhaps a different (longer life) belt was used in the USA, but your explanation makes more sense.

Even 72,000 miles seems risky. For my own piece of mind I think I'll replace mine before that.