free hit
counters
More speed please... (S3 NA) - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

More speed please... (S3 NA)

Goose

As the title suggests, I want my S3 NA to go faster but I don't have a mountain of cash at the moment. Any suggestions? I have changed the air filter for a K&N one and I have recently fitted an SJ stainless steel exhaust manifold which might add a little (certainly sounds nicer! :D). I am thinking the 'ram air' mod described on LEW is worth a go but any other ideas?

I have had a look at other posts and there seem to be lots on turbo cars and for those willing to do some engine re-building which I can't afford at the moment.

Apologies if this has been covered in depth elsewhere... Thanks in advance :lol:

banner-1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOS!

Easiest route to more power...

Biggest worry on your car though is the pistons imho - I don't know how much NOS will increase burning / cylinder temperature and hence induce piston melting!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

NOS!

Easiest route to more power...

Biggest worry on your car though is the pistons imho - I don't know how much NOS will increase burning / cylinder temperature and hence induce piston melting!

Anything less deadly? :lol:

banner-1.jpg

I remember fishy posting about camshaft upgrades for the s3 , also gas flowed and ported head, also troy has had a fair old few things done to his motor and has got himself up to a pretty good bhp :lol: i would personally advise the top end, uprated camshafts and a ported and polished head and then a good tune! not sure this will be cheap as you want but a least you can change the headgasket and timing belt at the same time, so its saving you money in a way :D well thats the way i look at it! depends if you do the work yourself :D then get it rolling road tuned and bobds your uncle :D

regards danny :D

A

i have the same 'wanna go faster' problem.

ram air thing makes it sound lovely.... although i have no proof that it increases torque etc (any ideas anyone?)

increased speeds however have only been achieved by steeper hills.....

Edited by doynk2

Hi Angus

Have you looked at Mike Taylor's site Lotus bits they work with Ultimate performance and can get up to 270BHP from the standard engine worth a look and you can upgrade what you can afford.

Regards

Tom

Hi Angus

Have you looked at Mike Taylor's site Lotus bits they work with Ultimate performance and can get up to 270BHP from the standard engine worth a look and you can upgrade what you can afford.

Regards

Tom

I spoke to Mike a while back with regards to doing the business. Came down to building a whole new engine (I've only got a 2.0 so you have a headstart). The advice was, if you want any obvious results, after you've gotten to the 2.2 stage (which you have) its the ported head, uprated cams, valves, Hc pistons, fly wheel fettling, sorted crank etc etc. Not cheap but the output figures were impressive!! Start saving! Decided to stick to the originality route myself...but still tempted :lol: Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Bluntly, for what you're wanting - ie to FEEL the difference, but not for cam / head money (which other than a turbo/super charger is the only 'real' route) then Bang per buck is NOS every time.

Karl sold his setup on ebay for well less than

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

Thanks for the advice. I think I will have a look at the NOS and engine 'rebuild' options. I have read about the performance upgrade from Lotusbits but I have yet to hear anything postitve or negative about it but I think I will give them a call and see what they can do. I like the idea of 270bhp without a turbo! :lol:

banner-1.jpg

It's not actually "Lotus Bits" but "Ultimate Performance" They were associated but iirc have recently gone their separate ways.

Pretty much what they do is what Troy has done to his car - Cams and polishing!

You COULD consider 45mm carbs too I guess? :lol: ...but these were added with the HC pistons and you wouldn't feel the benefit significanlty UNTIL you have had the head ported / polished.

As I say, try calling one or two NOS places and ask them what happens to the heat of combustion etc...

I've found you some more info....

A correctly set up nitrous kit will not and cannot cause damage.This is a myth.Problems occur with nitrous, usually when the fuel supply goes awol, thus causing a massive lean out.

If you are to use a sensible amount of power in your daily driver, say, for instance, a 60 shot (60bhp increase), providing the engine is in good order, serviced regularly and you dont over rev it, nothing can go wrong.

Because nitrous is a gas, it actually "cushions" combustion, so altho you get a bigger bang, its not quite as hard on the motor.Plus, the gas is cold, so it helps to ccol the pistons as well.

There is a huge amount of bullshit out there ref Nitrous, but used correctly it is the cheapest form of the most power.

Have a look here :

www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/how-nitrous-works.htm

'Nitrous' If set up correctly is perfectly fine if the engine is built well enough and can with stand the power increasing a certain %age. Progressive Nitrous kits are more reliable as its not all the power forced in at once. Whereas, the push button nos can be a bit dangerous in large amounts(iirc 200+ shots?) for obvious reasons as sudden power increase etc.

Worked REALLY well before I lost the piston - looked like on deconstruction of the old engine that there was a hairline crack in the piston and it was forced apart under nitrous.

Hell I'd do it again - I'd get a full compression test done first etc though......Actually, now I have a GT4 to play with I'm not sure I'd need to - but it's definitely the cheapest way for boost. Insurance actually dropped by

IMHO a progressive shot sounds the way to go (less harsh on the car) If you went for say a 50 or 60 shot then you wouldn't necessarily get into the domain of having to worry unduly about your gearbox but would be bothering turbo cars! :blink:

Whether your clutch can transmit the power however may be another story! Troy has found that his engine's output is far beyond what an N/A clutch can handle and to get to the sort of fun you're clearly interested in, then this may well become an issue!

IMHO a progressive shot sounds the way to go (less harsh on the car) If you went for say a 50 or 60 shot then you wouldn't necessarily get into the domain of having to worry unduly about your gearbox but would be bothering turbo cars! :blink:

Whether your clutch can transmit the power however may be another story! Troy has found that his engine's output is far beyond what an N/A clutch can handle and to get to the sort of fun you're clearly interested in, then this may well become an issue!

Interesting reading - thanks for taking the time to find that. I had a poor image of NOS before reading those and I agree a progressive 50 or 60 shot sounds like a good start. I will have to do a lot more reading and see what can be achieved without killing the engine.

I will also have a proper look at the engine build route - see what is really involved and how much it costs. Of course the other option IMO is the engine replacement route (my car is a bit of a rescue case so don't feel the need to keep it totally original) - but as has been discussed elsewhere on LEF there are numerous issues with that... Lots to think about. :o

banner-1.jpg

As Nitrous Oxide injection produces alot of low end torque, I would be worried about reducing the Citroen transaxle to scrap. :o

I used a nitrous oxide system on my old 1978 Trans Am to great effect. You definately need a good fuel delevery system, retarded timing and good spark plugs though. :blink:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Wayne - If he just goes for a progressive 50-60 shot like I suggested then he would be running very similar figures to a Turbo (I wouldn't personally go much further though without rebuilding the gearbox with uprated bearings)

Harry - has that been rebuilt using different bearings?

Could it take more torque than a stock one?

I may well be interested :blink:

It's rebuild but with the standard bearings. So I don't think it's up for more torque, only higher topspeed.

I would'nt know how to rebuild the Citroen gearbox with different (bigger and stronger?) bearings. Do you have suggestions about that?

regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

with kind regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

It's rebuild but with the standard bearings. So I don't think it's up for more torque, only higher topspeed.

I would'nt know how to rebuild the Citroen gearbox with different (bigger and stronger?) bearings. Do you have suggestions about that?

regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

Thanks for the offer of the gearbox. But I think in reality I should have said I want more acceleration rather than speed although if the speed comes with it then fair enough :blink:

Out of interest how much difference would your gearbox make to the overall top speed?

banner-1.jpg

Thanks for the offer of the gearbox. But I think in reality I should have said I want more acceleration rather than speed although if the speed comes with it then fair enough :blink:

Out of interest how much difference would your gearbox make to the overall top speed?

approx 25 to 30 km/h higher topspeed.

regarDS,

Harry

with kind regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

Stock S3 N/A is a lovely car though. Have said many times that i miss mine

and even though the SE strips it for speed and acceleration, were i able to

afford owning two Esprits i'd buy another S3 N/A for it's uncomplicated perfection.

I'd choose it over the SE for its apparent lightness and smoothness of power.

:blink:

The S3 and S3 turbo were the last Esprits Chapman signed off...

B)