free hit
counters
Minimum Air Rate Bleed Screw protective cap, drill it out? - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Minimum Air Rate Bleed Screw protective cap, drill it out?

markw996

Hi,

My IAC count is currently about 55 when the engine is at 80 deg C so I want to adjust the bleed screw to bring the count down a little to within spec of 20 - 40 with the aid of Freescan. The screw has a cap over it that I can't tell how to remove it. 

If I am to drill the protective cap, should I use the biggest drill bit I can to drill it out, or make a small hole and try to use it to lever the cap out with a small screwdriver? How much distance is there between the cap and the screw underneath as I don't want to drill the screw aswell.

Simple questions I know, but I'd rather ask than risk damaging the screw :thumbdown:

Thanks,

Mark

1994 Lotus Esprit S4  &  2016 Tesla Model S P90D

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark, I may be wrong but the cap should come out without drilling it, are you sure you have the correct screw as there is another nearby for the butterflies ( I think ) that must not be touched. Vulcan Grey put a picture on one of my old posts showing both screws, the one for the IAC is not far in so drilling wouldn't be a good idea ( even if you could get a drill in there )

Phil.

I don't have the car with me at the moment, but I was sure there was a tamperproof cap when I looked at the weekend, I didn't see a screw head at all ?!?

I have seen the photo (green arrow, not red arrow) so I know it's the horizontal one inside the cast tube, for want of a better description.

I'll have a better look this weekend with either a mirror or my borescope as it was a bit awkward to see properly last time  :unsure:

Hi, I knew I wasn't seeing things! :innocent:

cap.jpg

When my head is in a position close enough to see the cap, I can't focus as its too near :huh:

It is clearly made of some kind of plastic, but no amount of levering with a sharp screwdriver will shift it and it seems to be chipping it away as you can see at the top left.

As it's some sort of plastic I might just carefully drill a hole in the centre of it, then lever it out with an oil seal pick unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark.

I also never seen that before!  Mine just had the sleeve over the screw.  I just finished adjusting mine because it was reading 85 and it's at 28!  What a difference in performance and smoothness  :)