free hit
counters
S3 HC yes, but what is S3 HC Lightweight? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S3 HC yes, but what is S3 HC Lightweight?

As I'm keeping my eyes peeled for S3 Turbo and now considering possibility of going NA I've come across an HC Lightweight. I can't seem to find any mention of HC lightweight via Google, only HC. Is this just (don't mean that to sound derogatory!) an HC under a different name or is this a different model which is I guess, as name implies, in some way lightened? Cheers Scott

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've never seen the lightweight decal on any other S3 HC so I suspect it's just been added on. The interior looks like it's been redone and given that the vast majority were done in leather it might b

It would be against the law to keep a deposit without good cause. Sounds like a grade one a-hole, avoid.

That'll just be an HC, there was no lightweight model to the best of my knowledge.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ah OK - thanks for that. So "lightweight" decal on the side of HC would be normal?

(http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/esprit/1987-lotus-esprit-s3-hc-lightweight/1633966)

Haven't seen many HCs so had never noticed it before

Edited by smash

I saw that car and quite liked it and it did make me wonder re the Lightweight tag. Looking at the interior I would guess it has been retrimmed given that they never look like that past 70k miles. Does look nice everywhere else.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Good looking car and I reckon that's a fair price as well. I recall being told they only did about 45  HC S3s. The re trim (if it is a re trim) is odd as it looks like they forgot the pad over the tunnel and the bit that holds the choke and window lift switches

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

I notice the Spanish HC doesn't have the lightweight decal - not sure what that means if anything.

Mulling this one over. Shetland - bit of a logistical nightmare and a garage queen suddenly making a 570 mile drive sounds like the stuff of a recovery driver's dreams! No engine rebuild and no mention of any regular servicing makes me think you'd be shaking it down for a good few months at least. Hmmm.

Edited by smash

I've never seen the lightweight decal on any other S3 HC so I suspect it's just been added on. The interior looks like it's been redone and given that the vast majority were done in leather it might be difficult to pass on when you decide to sell it.    

• Like 1

I wondered whether it was originally trimmed liked the yellow Elf Turbo at Pure Lotus - i.e. leather dash and centre console and alcantara(?) everywhere else. Maybe he didn't retrim the dash in leather to prevent screen reflection but left the arm rest leather for less wear? Now you've mentioned it that arm rest sticks out like a sore thumb!

No it's not flocked, it's suedette.

I had a very rough preliminary deal sketched out with vendor but after sleeping on it he changed his mind.

Having seen close ups of the decal it's definitely an add on - the font is Eurostile and not Lotus thus doesn't quite match the rest of the typeface.

The search continues...

Edited by smash

I asked Brian Angus yesterday and he confirmed there was no official 'lightweight' model as suspected.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

PM the owner, he's a member on here.

Evora NA

As per other comments that car appears to have a few owner 'mods'. The Lightweight logo - though done in the same font is an add-on as is the 'Lotus Design' stick-on on the centre console. He's also cleverly done the reg.plates in the same font as the original red 'ACBC' car... The big giveaway for HC cars though are that the interior leather treatment and seats were re-designed. The 'gathered' leather look was consdered dated by then and HC's had a more fitted / no-creased look with square headrests.

Yep, it does have the square head rests. As said the lightweight font is close but not right.

The deal was still born because originally he was going to leave the plate on at £10k but changed his mind overnight when sending pics through. Unfortunately they show that it does have some stress cracking on the drivers side door around the mirror where it must've been knocked - a few inches length and quite fine. It's clean underneath but clearly a car that's been driven (road dirt etc.) The ad impression is more of a show condition car but for me it feels more like a very clean car that's had a decent external detailing. All just IMHO.

Cambelt last year and recent clutch - undoubtedly a very nice car!

Edited by smash

Blimey yes - I see what you mean!

Vendor changed mind and a deal was back on this morning but he wanted £1000 deposit up front sight unseen, I tried to broker a solution without deposit including a no show penalty payable by me but he got a bit nasty (apparently I should trust him because he drives an LP640 to work...)

Edited by smash